Chapter Six

Asami's POV 

"Hold still, will you?" I told Korra as I was putting on her makeup for her.  Tonight is her date with Bolin. She's been trying to remain as calm as possible, but I could see right through her. 

She fidgeted with the hem of the floral dress I let her borrow. It was a light blue dress, with a pattern of lilies. I picked it out for her, as I thought it complimented her skin and her hazel eyes. 

"This dress is seriously too tight," she complained. 

I smiled at her warmly. "No it's not, you're just over-reacting." 

She let out a small smile as quickly as she let it fade. I always found that adorable. Ever since I met her, Korra has always kept her emotions in check. She never let her emotions control her. Whether she's happy or sad, her straight and unwavering look that she always  wears, rarely ever breaks. But there has been recent times, where she lets her walls shake for a short moment, when she shows different emotions that I haven't seen before. 

I felt relieved at the sight of her happiness. I wanted my best friend to feel special and happy. Hopefully Bolin could do that.

After almost 3 hours of preparation, she was finally ready for her date. She looked so beautiful. Like a delicate butterfly soaring in the air for the first time. But still, she kept her eyes set on the floor in front of her, barely looking up. I stood infront of her and raised her chin, telling her to look at me. Once our eyes met, I gave her the most genuine smile. The smile I first gave her on the day we met. 

"You look beautiful." I said.

She blushed instantly, which was another emotional action that she rarely did. It took me by suprise, but I was glad.

She looked down, then forced her eyes to wander away from mine. 

A few minutes later, the doorbell rang. We both flinched at the sudden sound that seemed like an fire alarm to me, strangely. I opened the door, to a tall, well-dressed man in a dark navy tuxedo with professionally slicked hair. 

He showed me his endearing smile, and tipped an invisible hat again, which might be his new greeting now. I let him in and showed him the way to my living room where a very anxious Korra was waiting. 

Once he saw Korra, he did something I thought I would never see Bolin, the notorious bad boy do. He blushed. 

"Hi Korra," He said after regaining composure. "You look beautiful." 

The continued to exchange small talk for a while, while I was giving them a glass of water before they left.

As I was watching them, I couldn't help but notice the tension between them. I wasn't sure if it was good or bad, but it was definitely strong and undeniably present. They both continued to make small talk awkwardly.

Finally Bolin spoke up. "So, shall we go?" He asked courteously.

Korra suddenly turned towards me and gave me an intense look. It was as if she was asking for my permission, like she wasn't sure of it all. But before I could say anything, she reached for Bolin and linked her arms around his.

"Yes, we shall."

~~~~

Korra's POV

"You better like RomCom." Bolin stated robotically.

I wasn't sure if he was just nervous or if he was being rude on purpose. He had been staring at the movie listing poster infront of us for the last 15 minutes, even though he already has picked our movie. After that, he finally paid for our tickets while I took the liberty to grab us some popcorn and drinks.

It's been so awkward between us since we met up in Asami's house. At the beginning, he was all flattering and cute, but when we actually got into his car, he just completely shut down. He drove us to the movies with an unwavering enotionless look. I tried to make small talk of course, but only because I didn't to sit in silence with the thick tension around us.

We sat the high chairs that were placed just outside the movie theatre as we waited for the doors to open. Bolin continued to chew on some popcorn. Being the impatient person that I was, I grabbed the popcorn bucket from him, which forced him to twist his attention to me.

I glared at him and sighed. "Enough of this nonsense." I stated bluntly. "What do you really want from me?"

Instead of answering me, he glanced at his watch, then grabbed my arm towards the doors of the movie theatre. I tried to resist, but for he had the better hand of strength. Eventually we were already inside a very dimly lit theatre.

Hi had was still around my arm so it gave me a little comfort, but then I remembered how I got in here in the first place. I shoved him away from me and leaned against the wall for support. I was about to dash outside, when he pinned me against the wall with his arms against it, trapping me in between them.

I couldn't see clearly, but I could see the faint glints of brightness in his eye. His beautiful chestnut eyes were dazzling even in the dim light. But even with the beauty, there was darkness. I couldn't decide if I should be scared of it, or embrace it.

He grabbed my arm again, with the same strength and dragged me further into the chamber. As we were going further inside, I noticed the room was beginning to look more brighter. I could smell the faint scent of burning scented candles. Lavender. My favourite. I thought candles weren't allowed in theatres.  

Then I saw it.

All the theatre chairs, were somehow contracted and placed to the far side of the wall. Right in the middle, was a square table, with a white cloth draped over it. There was a lovely candle holder with three stem-like structures sticking out that had small circular candles in it, in the middle of the table. Next to it, was a thin vase that held two red roses in it. on each side, were well-placed sets of plates and bowls with cutlery beside them. It was very well-prepared.

Once he was sure that I wouldn't run away, Bolin let go of my arm. I was too dumfounded even to move. I was expecting to see a romantic-comedy movie, not live the stereotypical dinner date that usually happened in movies, literally in a theatre. I didn't know what to think.

"Don't freak out." Bolin spoke after a while. He took my hand In his gently, which gave me whiplash considering he forcefully dragged me into this date and this theatre. He looked deep into my eyes. His eyes were becoming more and more shinier, the more I stared at them. But that darkness was inevitably still there.

"Listen Korra," He hesitated. It was like he was fighting a war going on inside his head. Fighting to either say what was on his mind, or keep it hidden. After a minute, he spoke again.

"I know, I come off as a horrible person at times." He paused. "But I know that I really like you. Please give me a chance."

I don't what got over me from that moment on. It was like a large surge of energy began to cloud my judgements. It was like all the things that warned me about Bolin, didn't matter to me anymore. All the warning didn't make sense. Maybe it was the fact that I was undeniably lonely, made me say what I'm about to say. It was fact that Asami was into Mako and I knew that when they start dating and they will, even without me dating Bolin, I would eventually end up all alone.

Maybe, deep inside my heart, I wanted to be loved by someone else other than Asami. I'm so selfish. 

"Okay." I said.

"I'll give it a shot."