Chapter Fourteen

Asami's POV

We drove through the woods, in the early break of dawn to come across the wooden cabin overlooking the lake. The sky was now in a various shades of red and yellow, which seemed to dance around the sky, majestically. Birds surrounded the cabin, singing a wonderful tune that to us, seemed like a private performance dedicated only to us. Everything surrounding us was amazing beyond description. For a short while, we thought we were free. Like we didn't have any problems. We were content for a short while. But we knew it wouldn't last.

We got out of the car and went inside the cabin, using the key that was left underneath the welcome rug. The cabin seemed small from outside, but it's interior was quite spacious. The first time I saw it, I was too busy looking for clues to Korra's whereabouts that I didn't pay much attention to it. Every spot was covered in dust except for the furniture that was covered by sheets. 

We opened every window in the cabin and pulled down the sheet that covered the furniture. There was a massive couch that could be converted into a double bed, with a couple of single sofa. A lonesome coffee table with a lonesome cactus plant in a pot stood in the middle. A wooden cabinet was placed behind the sofa against the far wall. It contained family pictures of  a younger Korra with her parents. They were happy, posing in front of the camera with the lake on the background. There were several other photographs, mostly with Korra riding a bike, fishing on her own, flying a kite and other childish activities.

I glanced at Korra who was staring absentmindedly towards the sky, watching the sun slowly rise. I wondered if things would've been different, she would be happy. She would be with her family. That's all I really wanted for her. Her happiness. To see her smile freely. But that would also mean the cost of our friendship. Without her family being torn apart, she never would've moved to this town, she never would've been the loner girl sitting at a table on her own and she would've never met me.  

"We should get some rest." Bolin said as he finished getting rid of the sheets. 

"Korra you should take the double bed." Bolin suggested. "I'll sleep on the single sofa."

"Well, I guess I'll take the couch." I chimed.

Korra still looking dazed, strolls to the double bed. I help her by guiding her to it, and tucking her in. As I was about to get up, she grabs my hand. I turn to look at her. She had the same expression she had the night she stayed at my mansion. The night I ran way.  The night I lost her.

"Can you sing me a lullaby?" She pleads.

"You know I can't sing." I reminded.

"Well, hum then." She chuckles softly, making me do the same.

I nod in agreement and give her a smile, which she returns before slowly closing her eyes. I then hum Hush Little Baby, which was my favourite lullaby that my mother sang to me. I hum quietly and Korra falls slowly into slumber.

I then slowly lay down on the sofa right above Korra's head, and on impulse start to stroke her hair gently as she snores softly.

"You really care about her don't you?" Bolin asks as he sat on the single sofa, observing me. 

"Yeah I do." I answer, continuously stroking Korra's hair.

"Can I ask why?"Bolin inquires, shifting in his seat.

"Well, she's my best friend." I state matter-of-factly.

"No, that's not what I meant." He hesitates and gazes thoughtfully at Korra. "It's just, you look like you'd do anything for her, even die for her." 

I smirk, while I stare thoughtfully at Korra. "From the years I've known her, she has always had my back." I hesitate. "I'm willing to do the same."