Chapter Twelve

Korra's POV

I got into the back of a police car for the first time. It felt uncertain, ambiguous. But it also felt familiar. Like déjà vu. Asami and Bolin followed the police car as we drove from the wooden cabin back towards the city, to the police station. 

It was almost midnight and the sky was clear. I stared at the thousands of stars lighting up the sky like a Christmas tree. I stared at them as the police began to tell me about the situation. About my father. About me.

We arrived at the station thirty minutes later. It was empty and quiet, with barely any officers in the building, which was weird considering it was a police station. Then as if on cue, I felt a sudden chill run through my spine. Once I turned around the corner, I figured out why.

It was my mother. 

There she was, standing in the middle of the room, her back turned towards the table and facing me. Looking straight into my eyes. She looked weary. Her features were beginning to age, with wrinkles outlining her forehead and other part of her face. Her once beautiful hazel eyes, now seemed plain and tired, almost soulless.  Much different from the last time I saw her. Her light brown hair was already highlighted with streaks of white hair, which she didn't bother to cover up with hair dye.  She wore her usual lawyer suit. The same one she wore when she left the house for the last time, and never came back, until now.

We stared into each other's eyes. Had a moment of silence. Maybe we were both trying to understand the situation, maybe waiting for each other's permission to speak. Maybe it was just me, who wanted that permission. 

"Korra." she said bluntly.

"Mother." I replied.

Asami and Bolin came in right in time to see our mother-daughter moment. There was awkwardness, no surprise there and there was also a few dirty glances, most of them coming from my mother towards my best friend.

Asami was the first to break the chilling moment by addressing my mother. "Hello, Ms. Senna." she said formally.

"Ms. Asami Sato." my mother said coldly.

She noticed Bolin standing beside Asami and I. Her eyes flickered with curiosity. "I'm sorry, I don't think we've met." she began. She extended her arm towards him. Bolin began to wipe his palms on his shirt, nervously. He extended his arms to shake hers. It was quick and awkward, which mother didn't seem to care about. But to Bolin, it was different. Happiness seemed to spark in his eyes. He seemed to think that mother accepted him.

He couldn't be more wrong.

Bolin's interaction with my mother ended as quickly as it started, when my mother cut him off completely to talk to the officers that brought me in. Their conversation seemed heated and it looked as though my mother was the one who was most upset.

Not long after, both my mother and the head of the police department headed towards our direction. Both had their poker face, so I had no idea what to expect, but I was sure that it wasn't good news. 

The head officer stopped just a couple steps in front of me and my friends. He shifted his stance a little bit, as if he wasn't sure how to break the news to us. Then he took his hat off and looked me in the eyes.

"Miss Korra." He hesitated. "Because of your father's attempt on your life and his arrest, you can't live on your own without a guardian." He shifted his gaze on my mother, who was tapping her foot on the floor. It was something she would do, when she was nervous or upset about something. 

The officer cleared his throat before resuming. "Were giving full custody of you to your mother, until your father is taken to trial."

I shifted my gaze to mother, as her constant tapping suddenly got louder. Wow. Even at a time like this, she still cannot stand to be near me even for a minute longer, without having a breakdown. 

My mind began to wonder to a few dark places because of that. I thought back to the time my own father nearly killed me. I could still remember the tight grip he had on my neck. The way his eyes were dark and soulless, almost as if he was possessed. 

As the memories crashed my mind, I began to feel out of breathe, as if I was being choked again. 

But it disappeared as quickly as it came. It was washed away by the soft warmth that Asami's hand on mine provided. She held my hand firmly, reminding me of where I am. I turned to see her beautiful blue eyes gazing into mine, giving me a smile that could take the pain away. 

I gave her a thankful smile before turning to my mother, who was also watching our moment. Her peering and unforgiving gaze were targeted to Asami and I. Mostly to Asami, but there was venom in the gaze she gave me too. 

I shifted my feet nervously which made Asami grip my hand tighter, telling me that it's okay. She continued to hold my hand like so, as the officer continued to talk. To me, it was basically the declaration of arrest that the police would say whilst apprehending a criminal. I was being sent to a prison that I knew my mother would make. 

As the officer finished talking, my mother approached me tenaciously, as if trying to establish her authority over me. She grabbed the hand which was previously held by Asami fiercely. She then pulled me towards her, forcing me to go with her. 

"Wait, mother!" I exclaimed but she didn't listen. She never did. 

"We are leaving this place." she said bluntly. 

"Miss Senna, please don't." Asami pleaded. "She doesn't have to leave. She's perfectly safe, with her father in jail." 

"It's none of your business Ms. Sato." Mother intervened ferociously. She then gave Asami a cold stare before dragging me once again.

"Mother, you can't do this." I said as I tried to pry off her grip on my arm. "You can't force me to go anywhere with you." 

"Watch me." She said menacingly. I looked into the eyes that I used to find so much love in. I searched for a flicker that reminded me of my mom. The woman that loved me. The woman that protected me. I couldn't find her anymore. Not in the stranger that stood in front of me.

She was about to shove me in her car, when Asami called out. I turned around to see Both Asami and Bolin, rushing towards my mother and I. 

"Miss Senna, you have no right to take Korra like this." Asami spoke bravely, keeping her tone calm and focused. She gave me a stern look, telling me she would help.

"I'm her mother I have every right to." mother exclaimed. She gave Asami a deadly glare and tried to pull me inside the car. But this time, I had my foot in the right place. I forced my hand away from her grip and pushed her, causing her to loose her balance. 

"I'm not leaving." I said with a stern voice. I felt guilty for pushing her, but I've had enough. I've been running away from everything for far too long. It was time to stand up for myself. 

I turned to Korra, who grabbed my hand and led me to Bolin's car. I got into the backseat with Asami, as my mother stood by.

I don't know what exactly I was hoping for, when I watched my mother, standing there. Maybe I was looking for a shred of guilt that she might show, a flicker in her eyes or a sudden change in her stance. But I saw nothing. She just stood there. Staring at me with so much anger and hatred. 

As we drove off, my mother just spun around, not even bothering to look to which direction I was going. 

I sat in the car, heartbroken. I expected so much from my mother. I wanted her to run to me and embrace me. For her to show me the love, I've been craving for so many years. The love that any daughter should receive from their mother. I sat in the car, staring at the floor, fiddling with my fingers. Trying to hold back the tears threatening to pour down. I couldn't understand it. Why was this happening to me? What did I do to make my parents hate me so much?  I tortured myself mentally with these unanswered questions.  

But Asami grabbed my hands and held them tightly. Tight enough to let me know, she was there. That I wasn't alone. Asami and Bolin reminded me of the family, I still have. My true family. The only one I need. 

"Don't worry." Asami whispered gently.

"We're here, we won't leave you." Bolin smiled as he wiped away the tears I couldn't stop.

They both placed a soothing hand on mine. I smiled. 

"I won't give up. Not this time."