Chapter Twenty-Six

Korra's POV

Asami and I stood, facing my mother with as much resolve as we could possibly muster up together. My mother stood firmly with her arms crossed on her chest, her eyes filled with no warmth whatsoever and remained in a monotonous shade.

She closed her eyes and let out a massive, disappointed sigh. Then she looked dead ahead and walked towards us, her footsteps somewhat heavier and predominant than any before.

At first I thought her focus was solely on me but as I paid more attention, she also shifted her gaze onto Asami with the same anger she would only direct to me. 

"What are you two doing back here?" she asked as she got closer and settled on a spot just a few steps ahead of us.

"Just needed some fresh air, we'll get back soon." I answered curtly. I grabbed Asami by the hand instinctively and tried to swivel our way around her, but mother stepped in front of us, blocking our way. She set a strong grip on my shoulder, causing me to tense up.

"Can I please have a moment alone?" She asked.

"Sure." I agreed. "Asami you can go ahead, I'll catch up."

"I'm sorry." My mother stated. "But I was talking to your friend, Asami."

I raised an eyebrow at her. What could she possible want with Asami?

"What do you-" The pressure of the grip that Asami had on my hand became more prominent. I looked at her in confusion, but she just smiled at me, masking the true intentions of what my mother was trying to accomplish.

"It's okay, go ahead." she stated.

"No, it's not okay." I said firmly, my nails digging into my palms as I clenched them.

"What's going on?"

Asami opened her mouth, but was interrupted by my mother's impatient sigh.

"Look, I don't have time for this childish nonsense." She erupted. "This erratic behaviour has gone far enough."

"Korra, I forbid you to see this child," She hesitated, shooting a distasteful glare at Asami. I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists harder. "From now on, you will not be associated with her, inside and/or outside of school."

She shifted her menacing glare to me. "Believe me Korra, I will make sure this upholds and if you deceive me, you will never get to see your father again."

That's it. My life is falling apart right before my eyes, and I can't even do anything about it.

It hit me like a force of gravity. I'm useless. I'll forever be useless.

I fell to my knees and stared at the grass below me. Blood had started to drip on the it from my palms, tainting it in crimson red. My mother simply turns on her heels and walks away, leaving my to stare at the figure of her back, something I've grown accustomed to for most of my life.

Asami wrapped her arms around me from behind, and I felt comfort at first. I didn't want her to let go, ever. But the dread of loosing my father was painful. Yes, he hurt me, but for the past few months he had changed. He was smiling again, he told jokes like before and most of all he's finally sober.

I couldn't hold back anymore, so I sobbed. Tears flowing down my face as Asami held me so tightly I couldn't break my arms free from her grip. I tried to pry my arms away and break through, but she had a stronger grip that before.

"Asami, please," I said quietly in between sobs.

"Korra, I can't," She replied, her voice in the verge of breaking. "Please, we can work this out together."

"How can I ever win against her? What do I do?" I sobbed. "I don't want to lose you, or my father." I held on to her by the hems of her sweater. "Tell me what to do."

"I won't tell you that everything's going to be okay, because I don't know if it will." she hesitated and buried her face on the nook of my neck. "Just know, that you will never loose me. I'll always be here. Your mother can't stop me."

I spun around to face her. "But Asami-" She held her index finger to my lips and I could feel my face heat up from the short contact.

"We'll find a way, together. We always do."

~~~~

My train of thought kept coming back to that day. A week has passed and I've been beating my brain on thinking of ways to outsmart my mother. She wasn't joking around when she threatened Asami and I never to see each other again.

She called into our school, and spoke to the principal. She used her intimidation techniques to separate me completely from all of the classes I had together with Asami. She also told the staff to keep an eye on us, so now I wasn't allowed to sit next to Asami in the cafeteria and if I did, they had permission to drag me out.

Before, I wasn't sure how my mother would manage to split us apart, but as always, she exceeded my expectation and reached beyond any limit.

I sighed as I looked up to the ceiling above me. The house was empty as always and I'm alone. Today was the day that the jury officially debate the fate of my family. Whether I get my wonderful father back, or stuck behind the prison that my villainous  mother will eventually nail into me.

But honestly, I was numb. I've shed so much tears that even if I wanted to cry, I couldn't.

I've been meeting with my father regularly during the visiting hours in his detention centre, under my mother's minion's observation of course. Mr Jones stayed with me most of the time and never left the room. That would also then reflect on my dad's lawyer; Ms Raava to be present at those meetings. I felt bad for dragging other people into our problems but my mother had been hell-bent on making my life unbearable so here we are.

The sound of the front door smashing shut made me jolt from my bed. I tiptoed across my room, looking for any object I could use as a weapon. Settling on a snow globe, I opened the door stealthily and peeked downstairs, seeing a vague figure of a shadow bouncing off the wall. I tiptoed down the stairs and was about to swing my arm at full throttle, when I realised it was my mother, in my house at 8 in the morning.

"What do you want?" I lowered my arm containing the snow globe and took a seat on the couch, placing the object on the table beside it. She tried to remain composed, but I saw how she flinched at my sudden yet justifiable action. It's good to know she's not indestructible, after all.

"Pack your bags. I'm taking you to the hotel I'm staying at."

I stood up. "Why? I live here." I protested.

She crossed her arms on her chest again, something that maybe a year ago, would have made me tremble. I guess she's losing her effect on me.

"Not anymore. Once your father gets convicted and he will, I will become your legal guardian." She spoke condescendingly. Her eyes pierced resentment to my soul.

"No. No matter what you say, I will never go with you." I spoke firmly. She stepped closer but was interrupted by the vibration coming from my phone. I reached into my back pocket, whilst dashing towards my room before she could say anything. I picked up once I got inside.

"Hello?" I answered closing the door behind me.

"Korra." A deep male voice sounded through the device.

"Mako, what's going on?" I inquired.

"It's Bolin,"

I should have said something at that point. But the words just wouldn't come out.

"Don't worry, He's okay. In fact, He's awake." Mako spoke. I could tell he was smiling from his side of the line.

I took a breathe of relief. "Thank goodness. I'll be there as soon as I can."