Chapter Twenty-Seven

Korra's POV

Dashing out the front door at 8 in the morning without any breakfast earned myself a very disapproving glare from my mother, but I couldn't care less. Bolin was awake, and I had to see him.

I got into a passing vacant taxi and speeded to the hospital. I should've felt happy, delighted that he was awake. But that wasn't the first feeling I came to terms with. Instead, I was afraid. I was afraid that of what he'd say. Will he blame me? Will he hate me?

I got out of the cab hesitantly. As I stepped closer and closer to the hospital entrance, I could feel the weight of my feet getting heavier. My palms were beginning to sweat and feel clammy again. I would have classified it as a one of my usual panic attacks, except I wasn't passed out on the floor yet. Maybe that's a good sign, I guess.

I knocked on the door quietly and heard a gentle voice from inside telling me to come in. When I did, I was greeted by the familiar face of Mako along with his parents, staring endearingly at me, with the widest smiles. I'm not gonna lie, it took me by surprise. It's probably because I never received any type of affection from my mother and my father spent 5 years drowning himself with alcohol.

"Korra?" A familiar yet unknown voice, spoke from the far side of the room. His hair ruffled, unkempt and slightly longer. His eyes were more prominent and clear, back to it's normal shade of pale green.

"Hey you," I said softly as I approached him and sat on the stool beside him. He smiled warmly at me, as if I was the one in a hospital bed and not him.

As I stared at his weak and broken body wrapped in several rolls of plaster, I couldn't help but tear up. How could I be so selfish? How could I think about kissing Asami, when Bolin was suffering in the hospital? I rested my head on the bedside, trying to hide away my tears, but who am I kidding?

Bolin placed his bruised hand atop my head and patted it. "Don't worry, I'm okay." He said gently.

"I'm so sorry, this is my fault." I sniffled.

"What are you talking about?" He laughed slightly. His eyes crunching as his mouth spread widely.

"None of this is your fault." He stroked my hair, immediately calming me down.

"We'll leave you two to talk." Mako spoke behind me, making me realize he and his parents were still there. I raised my head to give a small smile to him and his parents as they left the room.

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked sincerely. I nodded my reply.

"Mako told me... about your family." He spoke as he continued to pat my head. The action somehow kept me calm, helping me appreciate the small things he does for me.

I laughed humourlessly. "It's a mess huh?" I hesitated. "I screw everything up." I kept my head down, too ashamed to look at him in the eyes.

"Don't say that." He says as he lifts my chin upwards forcing me to look at him. "In my eyes, you couldn't do anything wrong, even if you tried." He smiles warmly. It was so genuine and kind, one that would melt any girl's heart. But all I could feel was the intense pain in my chest, as if my chest was being crushed in someone's palm. It was suffocating. Bolin noticed slightly, furrowing his eyes.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I smile as naturally as I could. "I'm fine."

~~~~

"Everyone, listen up!" My English teacher shouted at the top of his lungs over the  drowning sound of my classmates in the room.

"Please remember that your Christmas exams are coming up." The class groans instantaneously.