Chapter Eight

Asami's POV

After Korra fainted in school, it was advised by our school principal for her to take a week of absence to regain her physical condition. It had been 3 days since she was last in classes with me. Of course, after school, I would visit her house and check on her. She would insist that she didn't need the week off and I would retaliate by telling her otherwise.

I never actually thought being in school without her would be so boring and dull, but in all honestly, I'm glad she wasn't. Everyone had been so edgy since the incident. People had started to spread rumours about Korra. Stories about why she passed out and why Bolin cared so much, that he would carry her to the nurse's office, had been spreading like wildfire. There were so many that I couldn't even keep track of all of them.

Bolin had been quiet since the incident. During lunch breaks, he would sit with his so-called friends near the vending machines and have no contact with me. He wanted to help by putting an end to the rumours by having no contact with me in school. But outside of school, he would visit Korra often and he would call me to ask questions about her.

When I got to school this morning, people were giving me piercing looks. They would mumble behind my back and giggle.  I wanted to retaliate but the thought of Korra holding me back would always pop in my head. That is the type of person Korra is. She would love her enemies even if they pushed her off a cliff.

But I am different. Everyone would always asume that I'm a good girl. They're wrong. Only Korra knew what I'm capable of. That's why it's so hard for me to hold back, while it's Korra that's getting hurt.

As the final bell rang, I headed quickly to the entrance, when all of a sudden, a group of girls blocked my way. I recognised some of the faces from our class, but others were upperclassmen. They were members of the cheerleading squad.

"Hey, Asami," the upperclassmen who was the head cheerleader spoke.

"Why don't we take a walk?"

Two girls grabbed each side of my arms and one girl stood behind me, trapping me in the middle while the head cheerleader walked infront.

They lead me to the back of the school building, the infamous spot for bullying known as the "hazing area". They pinned me againts the wall and surrounded me.

"You know Asami," The leader said.
"We really don't like you." She stepped closer to me.

"Or you're bestie, Korra." She said mockingly.

She paced infront of me, as a cat would tease a mouse before the kill. She stopped a few inches away from me which made me very uncomfortable. She inched her face closer to mine, and showed a menacing smirk. She pushed me, causing me to loose my footing and trip backwards. She stared down at me, satisfied by her actions, as a true sadist would be.

"You both better watch you're back." She demanded. Suddenly all of us heard a crackling sound in the distance. The rest of the cheerleading squad scattered, afraid of getting caught. The leader kept her stance. She cursed under her breath, disappointed that she couldn't finish her prey off. She gave me one last glare, before walking confidently towards the distance.

"Are they gone?" A voice from the direction of the sound asked.

"Yeah, they're gone." I said as I  stood up and brushed off the dust from my clothes.

"You can come out now, I won't hurt you." I pleaded.

From the back of the bushes, a small and frail figure emerged. It was a young girl. Probably from the neighbouring middle school. From her appearance, she looked like she was in 4th grade. She had short, dark-brown hair.  She was tan, with small but captivating amber coloured eyes. She had a nicely shaped nose, with cherry shaped lips. She had shoulder-length hair.

"Can I ask why a middle schooler like you is doing in the high school building?" I inquired with the most polite tone in my voice.

"I was looking for someone." She answered quickly.

"May I ask who?" I pushed.

"No. You don't need to know." She said bluntly.

With those words, she pivoted on her heels and walked towards the bushes she came from, leading to a secluded path, leading to the main road, where the middle school building was.

Feeling slightly annoyed, I headed back towards the entrance and headed out. As I was walking towards Korra's house to check on her, I couldn't help but think about the strange girl I met. Something about her didn't sit right with me. It was more than just her unmannerly personality towards her elders.

Before I knew it, I was already in front of Korra's house. But for some reason, I hesitated to press the doorbell. But not a moment later, Korra opened the door and I wondered if she was waiting for me the whole time.

But when I saw her, her eyes were swollen. It was as if she just crying and nowhere near finished.

"Who is that?" Korra's father screamed from the direction of the living room.

"It's just Asami." Korra answered.

"Tell her to leave. I don't want you hanging out with her." He said bluntly. I was about to intervene, when Korra sidestepped in front of me an shut the door behind her. Korra knew of my slight temper and my capabilities when I'm in that mood. I stared at her in dissapointment, but she continued to stare aimlessly on the ground. 

"Please, just leave it alone." she pleaded.

I never liked Korra's father. He didn't like me either. I hated how he treated Korra, his own daughter. He never appreciated anything she did for him. All he was good at was getting wasted and leaving Korra all alone in an empty house.

I took Korra's hand in mine and dragged her with me to the nearby park. She hesitated to follow for a few minutes but eventually followed along as she knew how persistent I am. She remained silent as we walked towards the entrance and sat on the swings.

After 2 minutes of silently sitting, she finally spoke.

"I'm sorry." she said.

"For what?" I replied.

"For my father, for being a terrible friend, for everything." she said gloomily. She kept her head buried on her knees. This was just like Korra. She would blame herself, even though she did nothing wrong.

I hopped off the swing to crouch directly below her. Noticing my shadow, she gradually lifted her head up, facing me with a very vulnerable look.

I smiled at her. "Stop moping." I told her.

She smiled weakly, as I extended my arm towards her.

She was about to take my hand, when my phone began to vibrate in my pocket. Not many people knew about my phone number, so it was strange. It was even stranger to hear the voice on the other line.

"Hey, It's me." Bolin spoke with his raspy, masculine voice.

"I had a feeling you would be with Korra and I don't have her number." He hesitated on the other line as if he was carefully constructing the specific words to say.

"Can I talk to her?"