Chapter Twenty

Asami's POV

I love waking up to a fresh start. I love waking up to a beautiful morning with stray rays of sunshine peeking through my curtains. I love hearing the gorgeous Robins' melodies, as they sit on my favourite oak tree. I love the scent of the freshly made bouquets of flowers of Roses, Lilies and other enticing flowers placed on the tables around my bedroom. I love every part of mornings like these.

Except I didn't wake up like this. 

No. I woke up after only 2 hours of sleep, woken up by the monstrocious barking of a Rottweiler, just outside my bedroom. Those rays of sunshine didn't envelope me with warmth but in fact harassed me with its stingy radiance, giving me a severe migraine. Those bouquets of flowers didn't lighten up my mood with its gorgeous scent but rather vexed me with an irritable runny and blocked nose, a sign of the common hay fever. I hated this kind of morning. 

I blame myself for this situation though. I made a decision last night to do something today that could very well end my life. I decided to confess to someone. Someone very dear to me and someone I've loved, for a long time, which I didn't even know about. 

I'm going to confess to my best friend, Korra. 

If only it was that easy. 

I laid awake the whole night repeating the same sentences over and over again in my head. I wanted it to be perfect because, well I'm a perfectionist. I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of Korra. Having only 2 hours of sleep is the result of that. 

I forced myself out of bed and into the shower. I thanked God for the warm water that cleansed my body and somehow made me feel a little better. Then I changed into something a little daring for school. I dabbed on some makeup to put some colour into my skin subtly, so it doesn't look like I tried so hard. But who am I kidding? 

Full with anxiety, my palms began to sweat. So I wiped them nervously on the side of my skinny jeans, shook off the dreadful feeling and rushed downstairs to grab some breakfast. Once I was full and energized with caffeine, I got out the door and hurried to school.

****

This is tedious, I thought to myself as I exited the Economics class. I looked around the crowded hallway in search for one familiar face, yet I didn't see it. I took a peek at my wrist watch, as the bell dinged for the next class. 

It was out of the ordinary to rush to Math class at 10 in the morning, but I didn't pay attention to the snickering of others as they entered a few minutes after me. All I cared about was seeing Korra. Luckily, she was in the same class as me. I wanted to tell her so badly, but I knew I had to wait, just until tonight. 

I was practically trembling. My heart was pumping so hard in my chest, I couldn't breathe. My hands were clammy and I was fidgety. Nervously tapping my fingers on the table and tapping my feet on the white tiled floor. A couple of the girls stared at me from the safe distance of their desks, snickering. 

Finally, a shuffling came through the door that brought the final wave of students through. Behind that, was the person I adored. She looked stunningly beautiful like she always was. She wore ripped boyfriend jeans and a cropped sweater, exposing her toned stomach. Once I finally managed to tear my eyes off her abs, I looked at her and saw that she was staring at me. I expected her to look at me like I was crazy, just like how the other girls did. 

She didn't. Instead, her cheeks have painted a hint of pink and she cast her attention away from me. It seemed like I saw a hint of hesitation, but I ignored it. For the time being. 

She shuffled to her desk, still trying to ignore me which I found undeniably cute. I smiled to myself. 

Then the teacher came in the room and I tried to bring my focus back to him. He taught the whole class about Inversions. I tried to focus, believe me, I did. 

But the distracting shadow of Korra was too intriguing. I watched her as she paid attention to the teacher. I admired how she placed her elbow on the table and placed her chin on her palm. I cherished at how she would almost immediately stroke any stray strand of hair away from her face and tuck it behind her ear. I treasured the adorable grin she would display whenever the teacher would say something not particularly funny to anyone else but absolutely hilarious to her. She would do that quite often, as she gets amused very easily. But most of all, I marvelled at the nape of her neck. The glorious part of her skin that was exposed so magnificently because of her gorgeous short hair. 

All of these things were entirely outstanding to me. These little things that Korra did, not only amused me but teased me. It wasn't even the first time I saw Korra do any of these actions! But now, it was as if I'm experiencing them all over again. For the first time. But it somehow changes every time I witness it. 

Then the ding of the bell snapped me back to reality. Korra was already packed up and already left for class. I mentally cursed at myself for daydreaming, while I packed up my stuff on my desk. I tried to catch up to Korra, hoping she waited for me at the hall. But as I emerged from the room, no one was there. I pondered to myself whether Korra was still mad at me. 

I dismissed the thought for now and headed to my last class before lunch. I wanted to tell Korra as soon as possible. Hopefully, lunch will come around soon.

****

I barged through the double doors of our cafeteria and scanned over the room. There in our usual place, I saw Korra, sitting with Bolin as she sipped from her bowl of chicken soup. She looked up, and at the moment she saw me, she turned away. I gulped at the pinch of pain in my chest. Why would she treat me like this? I wondered inwardly. 

I approached them, and although Korra had noticed me, Bolin hasn't as he had his back towards me. 

"Hey guys," I said to them.

"Oh hey, Asami!" Bolin expression beamed, his eyes filled with excitement. I was glad he didn't hate me. Not yet anyway. He got up from his seat and gave me a warm hug, which only made my guilty conscience worse. 

"Korra," I addressed. In turn, she gave me a timid smile. 

"Hey, your best friend's here, so stop sulking," Bolin joked, only to be replied with a silence coming from both of us. 

He laughed awkwardly, before getting up. He must have sensed the tension between us, so he gave us some space. Judging from the light steps he made around us, he must have thought we were fighting. Only he didn't know what it was about. 

I sat in Bolin's previous seat, right across the table from Korra. I tried to look at her directly, but my eyes didn't let me. I sat there giving most of my attention to my cuticles. When I finally got the courage to take a glance at her, surprisingly she was doing the same. I wonder why.

"I want to apologize to you, Korra," I said timidly. "I know I've been doing this for quite a while." 

She sat there, quietly. Just listening. 

"That's why." I hesitated. "I want to take you out for the night. Maybe we could go for dinner?" I asked timidly. 

"Okay." She finally said, breaking her silence. 

Soon after, the bell rang, signalling the end of our lunch break. I gazed into Korra's brown eyes. It's been so long since I gazed into them, so I memorized its beauty. How it flickered with curiosity as she looked at me. 

She looked so beautiful. 

She caught me staring and I immediately tore my eyes away, although I long for the high again. She looked away and I could see a hint of shade on her cheeks. She then stood up and sped up towards the door. 

Oh! What will I do?