Chapter Thirty-Nine

Trigger Warning !!⚠️
Derogatory slurs were used by Bolin, solely for the plot of the story.

I do not intend to insult anyone.

Please feel free to skip over his monologue.

Korra's POV

There was a gun. Muffled screaming was heard followed by sirens slowly increasing in volume. That was what I heard. It was quite vivid. I felt everything. First it was my stomach that went numb, then it was my legs, then eventually it reached my upper body, like a spreading disease.

But like every nightmare, it eventually ends. I woke up and it did.

Tonight was the Annual Dance.

A couple months ago, I would've cheered. I would've made plans with my friends, and only thought about getting wasted and having the best time of my life.

But now, that notion seemed like a million miles away.

Now, all I could think about was getting everything right, every detail and every angle triple-checked. I had to make sure my plan would work.

I was in the middle of tying my hair when a subtle knock was heard on the other side of my door.

"Korra, can you come downstairs? I'd like to talk to you."

I furrowed my eyebrows. Senna, asking for permission. Well that was new.

I headed downstairs and saw her sitting on a stool on the other side of the table. Her hands were clasped together on the table, with a solemn look on her face.

I approached her cautiously. It had been a long time since she asked anything from me, and it made me somewhat suspicious. I just didn't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

She raised her head and stared at me. Her usual cold eyes were replaced by the old ones. They were filled with longing and... guilt?

I sat across from her.

She stared at me for a little while longer.

"Are we just going to stare at each other all day?" I asked impatiently. "I have plans."

She cleared her throat. Then she stared at me again.

I sighed, quite annoyed.

She finally spoke up. "I know I haven't been the best, or even adequate, in a long time. I want to change that." She sighed. "I want to start fresh, for myself, and for you. Will you let me?"

~~~~

The words that came from Senna's mouth didn't register in my mind until about two hours later. After she said them, I couldn't sit still. She tormented me for so long, watched countless of time as I literally fell to the ground. Then she just decides to start off fresh? I walked out of that house with more unanswered questions than the ones that had already plagued my mind.

I tried to push away our conversation at the back of my mind. I needed to concentrate on tonight.

After I left, I headed to town and collected the dress I had rented. It was the type of dress, a teenage girl would wear on prom night, with the perfect length and material. It wasn't too cheap but not too devastating for my budget either.

It was perfect. Exactly what Bolin liked.

Since I had enough money left, I decided to go to the local salon to get my hair fixed, mostly to kill time. I didn't want to go home yet. I couldn't handle that.