Chapter Thirty-Two

Korra's POV

"Korra, you've been missing quite a number of classes this year," The principal peeked at me through his glasses that were halfway down his nose. He had my attendance sheets in his hand. He looked concerned, but something was telling me that he had a lot more to worry about than my poor attendance.

He took off his glasses, placed them on the table and then rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"I've got a lot on my plate right now," He said heavily. "Can I trust that you'll handle this situation by yourself?" 

"Of course, sir."

"Good," He took a deep sigh of relief.

Just with that, he stood up and opened his door, basically telling me to get out. I didn't complain and went on my way.

Ever since I stepped out into the halls, everyone had been glaring at me. People were whispering quietly to each other, snickering and glowering. At first, it was only a few students but as I kept walking it was like they multiplied. What was a small number, became a large crowd.

"Look, the alcoholic's daughter's back." One of the popular girls commented, followed by simultaneous giggling.

"I heard she's getting expelled." I heard another group of girls, chatting beside their lockers. I knew that attendance was important in this school, but isn't expulsion a bit over the top? I casually slowed my pace, keeping a close enough distance to the girls. 

"But I heard she was moving." I overheard. 

The moment my father was convicted. My mother did everything in her power to make sure she had custody of me. Once she handled the paperwork, she immediately moved into my house, well was once our house, until she left. 

I wondered how people heard about my mother and I moving back into our house and if they could even classify that as moving.

"I mean I can only imagine how much Asami's dad is freaking out since he's a big-time businessman." My head snapped towards them.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I ended up right in front of the girls, shocking myself for how fast I got here. 

"Were you listening just now?" They glared collectively.

"Never mind that. What were you saying about Asami Sato?" I asked. My voice coming off colder and sharper than usual.

They lips curled upwards, and they giggled again as if taunting me with every single syllable. 

"You didn't know?! She punched someone! It's been the talk of the whole town!" Their laughing became louder, piercing through my brain.

Why would she do that? I knew Asami and she would never do something rash without a reason. She always had a reason for everything. I began to panic as their words repeated in my head. Does this mean she's moving away? Is she really leaving?

The bell rang dismissing everyone to class. A whirlwind was blasting inside me. I was torn apart between staying at school and running to Asami. I needed to talk to her. I needed to see her. I was about to dash to the exit when I saw her enter the hallways, heading to our class together. 

When she saw me, she stomped towards me. He eyes were full of determination and something else entirely that I'd never seen before. 

She stopped right in front of me, her face just inches away from mine. Then, to my own surprise, She grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me along with her to the closest toilet which coincidentally was the same toilet where she broke up our friendship.