Chapter Thirteen

Asami's POV

Even as we have already left the police station, everyone remained quiet. I sat beside Korra in the backseat, while Bolin drove us. I could see that Korra still felt a little shaken up from the encounter with her mother.

It wasn't the first time I met Korra's mother.

Flashback to 4 years ago.

"Mom, I want you to meet someone." Korra shouted across the house as she invited me into her house. I met Korra a year ago today. She wanted to celebrate in a special way.

I tried to look as calm as possible, even though I was so nervous. I've never done something like this before. Usually when someone becomes my friend, they use me for their own desires. They talk to me, sit with me in classes or eat with me during lunch. But then they become popular like me, maybe even more. They join bigger groups, get invited to parties and eventually leave me behind. I hoped deep inside that Korra wasn't like that. Although I didn't know why.

Korra dragged me to the kitchen, where her mother was. The woman was facing the stove and was wearing an apron, from the back, she looked intimidating. She was slender for a mother, quite tall and she wore heels in the house. I could feel my nerves getting worse.

"Mom, she's here." Korra spoke.

The woman spun on her heels and then I was astonished.

She was a gorgeous woman. She wore a black pencil skirt with a navy blue silk shirt and black heels. She looked like the older, model like version of Korra. She had the same brown eyes, with a hint of maturity.

I stared at her, longer than I intended, so Korra shoved with her elbow, causing me to jolt. Korra giggled.

"Mom, this is my new friend, Asami." Korra introduced. "Asami, this is my mom, Senna." 

Korra's mother looked at me with the most humble set of eyes, the same eyes she had which almost forced me to be her friend. Her mother gave me a pleasant smile, before stretching out her arm. She held an open hand in front of me. 

"It's nice to finally meet you, Asami." she spoke. 

I wiped my sweaty nervous hand on my white silk dress, before reaching out to shake hers, which were waiting patiently in front of me. "You too, Ma'am." I replied timidly. 

"Oh don't be so formal, call me Senna." she smiled. She guided us towards the sitting room. "Please make yourself at home, Asami." She greeted before heading back to the kitchen. 

I followed Korra to the sofa and sat shyly beside her. She stared at me with humour, as I was fidgeting with my fingers for 5 mins. She giggled and hit my hand playfully.

"Don't be so nervous, you look like you saw the president or something." She commented. She smiled widely, causing me to do the same. I didn't know what it was with Korra, but with her, I felt at home. I felt like I could tell her any secret. She made me feel safe. 

We sat and talked on the sofa for a while. We talked about things that made us happy, shared stories, memories and other things. To others that conversation seemed like a normal small talk that's pointless, but to us it was different. It was a connection. The kind I haven't experienced with anyone before. Not even with family. We laughed, we smiled and we cried a little bit too. 

Eventually the time passed and it was already dinner time.

"Dinner's ready girls." Senna called out to us from the dining room. Korra and I smiled at each other, praising Senna for her beautifully crafted work, before digging right in. We ate in comfortable silence for a while, until Senna spoke.

"So, tell me a little bit about yourself Asami." Korra's mother inquired, quite taken by surprise but impressed by her bluntness, I prepared to answer her answer and swallowed my food. But before I could, Korra grabbed my arm, surprising me. 

She glanced at her mother and looked at me giving me a gentle smile. I placed my hand on top of hers, stroking it with my thumb. Not long ago, I told Korra about what happened in my family. The mess that my father caused our family. The hurt he made my mom suffer through. At first, I was hesitant. Not just with Korra, but everyone else too. I didn't tell anyone for a long time. I suffered on my own in silence, constantly believing that I was doing the right thing. But eventually, she pulled me out. Out of the deep abyss I was burying myself in. 

"You don't have to answer anything you don't want to." Korra reassured. With that said, I was about to close myself up again, hide behind the mask I wore for so long. But the beautiful chocolate eyes that beamed in front of me, gave me courage. 

"It's okay." I spoke with bravery. With that, through dinner, I was able to answer questions that were asked, with sincerity. I didn't break down crying, I didn't shut anyone out and I didn't cower behind the mask of a smile or a cloak of the saying; "I'm fine". I managed. But without the help of comforting hand from a sincere friend, it wouldn't be possible.

With a gentle stroke of my thumb on her smooth skin, I hoped I have thanked her enough. 

End of Flashback 

Remembering that night, I relived one of the treasure moments that Korra possesses. One of those memories that I was lucky enough to share with her. I knew how much she loves her mother and how much it's killing her to go through all this. 

To everyone else she acts tough. Like me 4 years ago, she's hiding behind the mask. The same mask I wore. I same mask I wept behind. No matter how much she tries to be tough, to stride through her pain, I knew better. 

But as much as I wanted to fight her battles for her, to conquer her fears for her, I couldn't. This was her war to win, to rise from. All I could do was fight with her, hold her hand through the hard times, and be the shoulder she can cry on.  

As Korra stared at her fragile, shaking hands, I placed my hands on top of hers. Holding them as if they were part of a beautiful delicate flower. She glanced at me, her eyes filled with tears threatening to escape. 

"Look." I said quietly. "No matter what, always know that we're here for you." 

"I know." She said as she stared at me and Bolin, who looked at us from the centre mirror. We continued to drive away in silence, but soon realised that we were simply driving with no destination in mind. 

"Where should we go?" Bolin asked from the driver's seat. I glanced at Korra. She stared at the moonlit sky, almost as if asking for help. A moment later, she turns back towards us.

"Take me to the cabin." 

Hey guys! 

Sorry for these late updates, and thank you for being patient with me. I'll update every Friday so please look forward to it. 

Let me know what you guys think, so comment and vote. Every feedback is appreciated.

Thank You! 

 P.S.  This chapter is inspired by the song 4 O'Clock by BTS RM&V. Listen above.