Chapter Fourty

Korra's POV

Everything was white when I opened my eyes. White ceiling, white walls, and white floor. That made it terrifying. It was completely silent at first. So quiet that I couldn't hear myself breathing.

But then my sense of hearing came back in fractions. First, it was completely quiet, then a buzz and eventually that buzz got louder and louder until I could finally hear the faint beeping of the machine beside me.

That wasn't the only thing beside me.

Next to me, with her head face down on her arms on top of the bed was Asami. She looked so peaceful that I found myself moving ever so slowly, just so I wouldn't wake her up.

But as I stroked a strand of hair away from her face, she started to stir awake.

Once she saw me, she jumped and engulfed me in a warm embrace. She looked at me in the eyes and burst into tears, making a crying face that somehow looked so cute to me. I laughed and she slapped my arm.

"Why are you laughing, you almost died!" She wined cutely.

"Sorry. I couldn't help it." I smiled at her. She did the same, happily. We stayed like that for what seemed like forever, taking in the other's features. I scanned every single part of her face, the way her eyes would squint every time she smiled, the way her lips parted ever so slightly. Everything about her, I memorised.

Then we were interrupted by an abrupt clearing of someone's throat.

There was the doctor, with Senna by his side.

She looked at the doctor for a moment, which prompted to Asami. She nodded slowly and then turned to me. She smiled then kissed my forehead softly before leaving the room. The doctor then followed her, leaving Senna and I alone.

She closed the door softly. She then stared at me for a moment, and she looked hesitant to come closer. As if she was afraid or something.

"I should just let you rest." She mumbled and was about to leave again.

"Wait. It's fine." I gestured for her to sit on the stool beside me. She nodded slowly.

It was strange seeing my mother so flustered. She was always so composed, her moves always calculated and precise, especially with me. But these past couples of weeks, she would do something out of character, or apologise for a mistake, which she never did before.

I was starting to see my mother again.

But I still kept my distance. I didn't want to get my hopes up and have them shattered later on.

She sat quietly. Eventually she cleared her throat.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Not too bad, I guess. I still can't move my shoulder so much, but other than that I'm fine." I answered.

"That's good." She smiled slightly.

She was about to leave again, when I grabbed her hand, causing her to stop and turn around.

"Look." I hesitated. "I know I haven't been listening to you lately. I know I haven't been exactly open, about.. you know, our relationship." I looked away from her.

"But I want to start over again. I do."

It was silent. I began to sweat again. It was too quiet, and I was afraid that she'd walk away again, from me, from my life.

But she didn't. She cupped my hand in both of hers and held them tightly. I looked at her and my heart began to ache with happiness. I never imagined it would become like this, I had always accepted the possibility of us never reconciling and came to terms with it. But I never realised how much I missed her, how much I needed her to just notice my loneliness. Not until now.