Chapter Eighteen

Korra's POV

Does anyone else feel total calmness by staring at the ceiling? Like any type of ceiling? One that you're completely familiar to? In this moment, that's what I feel like. Total relief. 

Why, you might ask? Well, it's because of one reason. Consistency. 

These past few months, so much in my life has changed, mostly for the worst and some, with total uncertainty of its destination. My father nearly killed me and was arrested, my mother hates me to core and I don't even know why and my best friend... Well I've been going out of mind just thinking about what happened between us. 

The ceiling, on the other hand, remains the same. It's the only consistent part of my messed up life. 

I've been staring at it for an hour now, whilst lying in bed contemplating about the day ahead of me. The house is empty, as usual. Mother is staying at a nearby hotel. She hates me so much, she can't bare to stand within a few metres away from me. No surprise in that. So I've been living alone for a couple of weeks now, cooking for myself and cleaning up for myself. But it's no different though. I've been practically doing the same thing, even when my father still lived here. 

I hesitatingly sat up on my bed, and reached for my phone on the bedside table. One message from the police station and one email from the lawyer. I sighed heavily and crawled out of bed. I prepared the best formal outfit I could find in my outdated closet and took a shower. I put on my clothes and dab on some make-up. 

Then I trudged downstairs and made coffee, some scrambled eggs. Once I finished eating, I washed the dishes and brushed my teeth. Thirty minutes later, my doorbell rang. Sighing once again, I opened the door, and came face to face with Mr. Baatar Jr. Jones, a lawyer from the big city. He was appointed by the head of the police department, to defend me in the case against my father. The trial was coming up and he wanted us to go over the details one more time, as well as meet up with the judge along with my father and his lawyer. 

"Hello Miss Korra." He greets. "Shall we go?" 

I nod in agreement and head out with him to his car parked out front. He drove in a black Mercedes Benz. Classic car for a classy lawyer. He opened the passenger door and held it for me, then closed it as I got inside. He hurried to the driver's seat, then started the car. Then we were headed our way.

As I sat quietly beside him, I sneaked a few glances at him. I wanted to try and decipher his intentions by memorising his features. He was a lot older than I assumed the last time I saw him. Well, technically I didn't see him. I was sitting in the Sheriff's office and he came in to see the Sheriff before I did. I only saw his silhouette through the reflective glass window.

He was in his late 20's I guess, with black hair styled in a pompadour haircut with a goatee. He wore glasses covering his emerald green eyes. He was tanned and wore a dark and brooding look, like he recently just lost his dog. He also looked like the type who didn't share that much information about anything in his life, unless necessary. He drove in silence, to the city, where the district attorney's office was located. 

Once we arrived, we headed into the building. It was massive. The whole building was made of granite. It had large granite columns on each side of the building with a granite flight of stairs leading to the doors. I couldn't help but think about how much Asami would hyperventilate in awe if she saw it. Then without warning, I remembered the kiss, and I began to fluster.

"Are you okay?" Mr. Jones asked as he walked beside me. His features in a frown, whilst staring at me.

"I'm fine." I excused. 

He nodded and led me to the DA's office. Through wooden double doors, I saw my father, sitting on one side of the long table with his female lawyer. For once in a long time, he looked sober. His hair was combed and slicked back with gel, with his goatee shaved in a more decent manner. His face looked brighter and healthier than before. His eyes were back to their dazzling and soft shade of brown. 

He stood up once he saw me, with a look of happiness shown clearly in his eyes. But was then stopped by his lawyer. She was quite young. She was probably in her early 20's. She had platinum blonde hair, perfect make-up, with doll-like facial features with enchanting blue eyes. She told my father to sit down and she herself stood up. Then I saw her full figure. She was quite beautiful. She had a figure of the stereotypical Barbie doll. In fact looking at her now, I felt intimidated, very insecure. 

"Hello." She introduced herself to Mr. Jones. She then stuck out her arm. "My name is Raava Cosmos. I will be defending Mr. Tonraq in this case." 

Mr. Jones took her hand and shook it, from where I was standing I could see the firm grip they had on each other's hand. As if declaring the first contact between two warriors in a war.

I took the liberty to sit on the opposite side of my father, directly in front of him. He stared at me with the loving eyes that I loved so much. He looked much better, since I last saw him. I attempted to stand up and hug him, but the loud sound of the DA's disapproval through a cough was evident. 

So I sat down and my father gave me an encouraging smile. Something I haven't seen him do for a while. It felt surreal. I was sitting in front of my father. He was looking at me. Actually looking at me. For so long, I have felt invisible to his gaze. But now I felt happy. But as I looked at him with admiration, It felt painful. Why couldn't my father get his act together sooner? Why did he have to get arrested first? 

But my contemplating state, was interrupted by the sound of the DA clearing his throat. With that, they began to proceed with the tension filled meeting. My Father and I were silent the whole time, which was suggested by both our lawyers. In the moment of silence, I wondered where my mother was. I didn't expect her to show. So I wasn't affected by her absence in the room. 

My father on the other hand was different. No matter their differences and the things they've been through. I could see in his eyes that he wanted to see her. Even just to see her supporting me. But just like I am, were were both betrayed by the hopeful undertone. 

As we sat their in silence, our lawyers and the DA were having an intense conversation, regrading the case and their clients. Personally, I didn't really care what they talked about. All I could think about was how completely healthy my father looked. Staring at him now, I couldn't see the point of the whole trial. I had my father back. My real father. The one who loved me with all his heart. I wanted him home with me. 

I stood up and approached the educated bunch. It made them awkwardly stop their actions and stare at me. I cleared my throat before talking. 

"Can I talk to you, Mr. Jones?" I asked. Mr. Jones stared at me with extreme confusion. But he simple nods and excuses himself to the DA and his opposing lawyer. He gestured for us to leave the room for privacy. Once we did he patiently waited for me to talk. 

"I wanna drop the case against my father." I spoke bluntly. 

He stared at me wide-eyed in complete shock. "Excuse me?" He said with a contradicting tone. 

"I want to drop the case against my father and I want him released from prison." I demanded, giving my best impression of a determined look.

He sighed audibly, controlling his showing temper. "I'm sorry, but that's not your call to make. Your mother hired me to defend you against your abusive father and I will." He explained.

"But I am the victim here. I have every right to drop the case." I protested. My anger seething through my voice. Of course my mother had appointed him. I wasn't surprised at all, considering how she hates dad so much. 

"You're underage, so you don't." He said matter-of-factly. He stared me down, with the most vicious look. The action had completely dispersed any hint of goodwill I saw in him before. Now I know those smiles and honourable actions were just a facade. 

I cursed under my breathe and headed back inside. I kept my mouth shut for a while, but my mind was set on changing my mother's mind.  

I'm going to get my father out of jail. Even if it meant loosing my mother.