Chapter Thirty-Seven

Korra's POV

I ran through the halls, shoving through everyone that stood in my way. They flinched, their eyes filled with annoyance. I didn't care. I kept running. I ran as my tears trickled down my face, clouding my sight, causing me to trip on my own two feet. I fell to the floor, hurting my ankle in the process.

I flinched in pain and slowly stood up once more.

"Korra!" Asami followed, pushing through the same people that I passed, which were now crowding around me. I dragged my foot across the floor as I tried to get away. I groaned in pain, but I knew I couldn't stop. I couldn't look at Asami.

"Korra, please," She grabbed my arm, trying to make me stop. I wrenched it free and with the other hand, I slapped her across her face, leaving a severe sting on my palm. She clutched at her cheek and gazed at me in shock.

"Why?" I exclaimed. I felt betrayed. I trusted her. I felt anxious and afraid, terrified of what Bolin could to me, to the both of us. But she lied to me.

"Please listen to me," She pleaded.

I stepped closer to her and out of anger, I pushed her away. I pushed and pushed again. I knew I was hurting her, but although I was angry, I still felt like I needed to protect her.

The only way I knew how to protect her was to hurt her.

"I'm done listening Asami. I thought I could trust you, but then the minute something wrong happens, you go back to the first person you liked. You broke my heart."

"That's not what happened Korra, please." She tried reaching out for my hand, but I pulled away. She stared at me with longing, guilt and confusion.

I kept telling myself that I needed to protect her.

So I turned around and left, not even looking back.

~~~~

A few days have passed since I ran away from Asami. Since then she has messaged me a hundred times a day, called and left 200 voicemails. Even Mako had called a few times too, probably to clear things up.

There were times when I mentally slapped myself for pushing Asami away. I was hurt, yes. But what I did was an exaggeration. But it was necessary. I needed to push her away so that Bolin wouldn't hurt her. He wanted me. I didn't want Asami to get involved. 

I also knew that if I told her about my plan, she'd never let me go through with it. Although it was my plan, that didn't stop me from feeling terrified.

But I can't go back now. Considering I'm already at Bolin's front porch.

I rang the doorbell and stepped back. I took a moment to look around his front porch. It was a mess. There were several flower pots filled with various flowers and plants. Some of them were scattered on the floor, the soil all over the floor and the flowers left to rot. There were broken beer bottles and other trash left at the corner, accumulating a pungent smell.

But before I could investigate further, the door opened revealing Bolin, who looked like he hasn't showered in a week. Even from the distance, we had from each other, I could smell alcohol oozing from his clothes.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He growls lowly.

"I came to check up on you, and apologize." I hesitated. "You probably have a lot of questions and I'm here to answer them."

He stared at me viciously, but I could see from his eyes that a part of him wanted some type of closure. He stepped aside and let me through the door. I stepped in cautiously.

I watched him, as he closed the door then turn slowly towards me. He glared at me for what felt like a lifetime and eventually gestured for me to take a seat in the living room. I sat on the single sofa, while he sat on the leather couch across from me. We sat in silence for a while. I knew I had to say something sooner or later, but I was terrified. This plan could go haywire at any moment.

But I didn't want to live in fear for the rest of my life.

"Did you just come here to sit in silence?" He spoke up, with an annoyed tone.

"No"

"Well, what do you want?" He growled.

"Look, I just want to explain everything."

He glared at me, clenching his jaw and fists.

"I'm sorry. About everything. I lied to you, I hurt you. I'm truly sorry." I hesitated.

"But I did love you too. You were there when I needed someone. You were there through the toughest moments of my life and you've helped me through them. When I thought I couldn't live anymore, you were someone I thought about. Someone I couldn't bear to leave behind." I told him.

"Save it. You're just like her." He spits furiously. "You're just gonna hurt me over and over again." He spoke, his jaws tense and his fists red.

"It's over between Asami and me." He turned his gaze towards me, a little relieved. He noticed that I saw through his anger and looked away.

"Don't expect me to come running back."

"I don't. I just wanted you to know."

It was silent again.

"Now, I'm going to the dance alone." I shrugged. "I was hoping we could patch things up and go together. As friends."

He stared at me unwaveringly. But I couldn't sense any anger anymore. Maybe it was working.

"Maybe I'll stop by." He tried to say nonchalantly. It didn't work though.

"Okay"

~~~~

Asami's POV

"Please pick up," I uttered to myself as I paced back and forth, with my phone to my ear. Still, all I could reach was her voicemail.

I hung up furiously and threw my phone on my bed. Why is she always so stubborn?

I ran my fingers through my hair in distress. Then my phone vibrated. I dived onto my bed and reached for it. I answered hoping it would be Korra.

"It's me." Mako's deep voice spoke.

"Hang up, I'm waiting for Korra's call," I ordered.

"I saw her." He said, his voice stern and unwavering. He never spoke like that.

"Where?"

He hesitated. Something's definitely wrong.

"Mako! Where!?"

"Leaving my brother's house."

I froze on the spot. How could she? Here I was, constantly trying to talk to her, to apologise for something I didn't do, only to find out that she would run back to him. Of all people in the world, it had to be him.

"Mako, follow her. I'll be right there."

A/N;
Hi dear readers!! Sorry for the long hiatus, but now I'm back!

Again, I wanna sincerely thank everyone who is reading this fanfic and are continuously following it! It means so much to me since this is the first fanfic that I've ever published.

Heads Up! Only three chapter to go!! So sad :(

But I was thinking of writing a sequel. What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments!

Thanks!
N~