Chapter Thirty-Six

Asami's POV

The school cafeteria was bustling with excited teenagers going about their lunch break. Everyone had just left their classes and were now spread out through the room, huddled together in their own cliques. It was busier than any normal day though, as The Annual Dance was coming up in two weeks.

Most of the Dance Committee were gathered at the front of the cafeteria, handing out flyers to everyone who came in. Some were dispersed engaging in other activities like hanging posters on the walls, decorating and promoting activities involved in the night. Everyone had wide smiles on their faces, full of joy and excitement as their final high school year was ending.

Everyone, except me.

I couldn't shake the anxiety weighing on my shoulders. Not since the night, Korra told me about Bolin. I tried to act natural and try to seem as delighted as everyone else but there was this nagging sensation at the back of my mind that I couldn't get rid of. All I could think about was how frightened Korra was that night. How she clung to me so tight as if she was holding on for her dear life.

Now every time bell rang, I'd instinctively flinch. Should I be this worried too? Will I be able to protect Korra?

But as I looked towards the cheerleading squad, I spotted the someone who could help me. The one person that knew Bolin the most.

"Mako," I stood across from the table, trying to be as calm as possible. Three girls were surrounding him around his seat. One of them had her arm across his shoulders and the other clung obnoxiously to his side.

Once he saw me his lips curled up into a wide grin, causing the other girls to shoot sharp glares in my direction. On a normal day, I would've tried to test their patience, but now was not the time. Mako noticed the distress written all over my face and stood up immediately.

"What's wrong?" He asked me. I hesitated. I felt as if everyone in the room were looking at me.

"Come with me," Mako said as he grabbed my arm and led me outside the cafeteria. We paced through the halls, passed the classrooms till we reached a fire exit just beyond the campus. It was located in the corner, far from the classrooms. Like a hidden gem in a box full of diamonds. A secret garden.

He turned the knob and led me outside to an indoor garden. It had a cute little bench on the corner, with a small garden full of roses and tulips surrounding it. Although it was well maintained and renovated, I could tell it used to be a back alley, containing garbage dumpsters. The walls still had traces of faint writing painted in various coloured spray paint.

"So," Mako continued as he skipped towards the bench. He sat on it and patted the space next to him, indicating for me to sit too. "What happened?"

I slowly approached the cute bench. It was made of a sturdy oak tree, which had moderately aged but still remained intact. I slowly sat and took a deep and long breath.

"It's about your brother."

Mako furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Bolin? What about him?"

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. A moment ago, I had full determination to tell Mako about Bolin's threat. He needed to know about Bolin's dark personality. I needed him to tell what he knew. But Mako adores his brother. He'd protect him no matter what. But if I tell him the truth, will he believe me?

"He threatened Korra." Mako froze, his expression contorted from confusion to anger.

"What are you talking about? Why would my brother threaten his girlfriend?" 

I hesitated to answer. If Bolin's reaction led to Korra and I's demise, what would it do for his brother?

By now, Mako was standing on his feet, towering over me. "Asami, what happened?"