Chapter Seven

"Tell me everything, don't spare any details." Asami pleaded with a look of pure curiousity. It was a very interesting sight. She had been pestering me since last night. She even called me early in the morning begging me to tell her. 

Last night took a very sudden and bizzare turn of events. Once Bolin told me his real feelings and I decided to give him a shot, he provided a very extravagant dinner for us. He then provided lovely desserts while watching the movie we initially planned for. Then he took me out on a peaceful stroll in a nearby park and took me home. It was sweet, but a part of me was still hesitant. I've never been treated with such chivalry, so it took my by surprise.

To end my bestfriend's agony, I told her all the details while she sat there fascinated and dumbfounded at the events Bolin planned out that she didn't expect from him at all. 

After 20 minutes of silence on her part, she spoke. "Are you sure you went out with the same guy that blackmailed us?" She said.

"Yes, and the only reason he did that is because he didn't know another way to ask me out." I said honestly. 

"Well. did you tell him to try, oh I don't know, to actually ask?" She said teasingly. 

We were currently on our way to school, after a long weekend. It was beginning to get a little chilly as the season was nearing winter. The streets were more sparsely populated than the usual busy autumn morning. I had to wrap myself warmly with a thick scarf, a knitted hat and a pair of gloves. Asami was almost dressed similarly except she wasn't wearing gloves.

As I breathed out, I could see the fog coming out of my mouth. It always found it amusing. Asami noticed my childishness and smiled. I love winter, especially when it snows. I love it because of Asami. She was the first person I played in the snow with, when I first arrived in this town. Back then we were so innocent and careless. Careless about the world, what people thought about us and the consequences of our actions towards the future.  We walked together silently like that until we got to school.

When we arrived, at first I thought it was just my imagination but the whole class's eyes were set on us. But in reality their eyes were set on me. They were looking at me with so much disdain and disgust. It was like a cockroach just walked in.

Not again. Please not again.

I was beginning to shake, when suddenly Asami wrapper her hand in mine. She gave me a look that gave me courage. I was about to take my seat, when someone knocked on the door. It was Bolin. He was wearing his tough guy look again, which made it even more unnatural since I knew his real personality. There he was standing silently, waiting for me.

But as I stood up to greet him, I could feel the lingering eyes of my peers. I felt like prey being stalked by the predator. I suddenly felt anxious and scared. Two emotions that I haven't felt in a long time.

I could feel my pulse racing and my palms sweating. I didn't want to feel these emotions again. Suddenly I felt extremely drowsy and weak.

"Korra!" I heard Asami shout as I lost my consciousness and hit the ground.

~~~~

Asami's POV

"Korra!" I screamed as I witnessed my best friend gradually fall to the ground.

Like the speed of a cheetah, Bolin caught her in a swift move. Everyone around us started to mumble and chatter, their chairs scraped harshly against the floor as they stood up from them. They continued to chatter and gossip, probably spreading rumours as they spoke.

"Hurry! Take her to the nurse's office!" I directed Bolin. Without hesitation he carried Korra, bridal style to the office, while I followed.

Once we were there, Bolin laid Korra cautiously on the bed. As he did so, I could see the genuine worry in his eyes. His face was also distraught and out of sorts. It was the first time I saw Bolin with such a fragile look. Nobody except me, would look at Korra the way Bolin was right now and it made me feel a brief feeling of relief.

"You stay with her, I'll tell the teachers what happened." Bolin told me as he glanced at Korra once more before leaving.

I sat on the chair that was placed near the bed. My best friend laid on the bed, motionless as if she was in a very deep sleep. It had been about 2 years since Korra had a panic attack like this. It had been so long since it happened that I thought it doesn't bother her anymore. But as I saw the replaying image of my best friend, who I would do anything and everything for, slowly losing consciousness and falling to the ground, then I knew, she wasn't okay.

How could I not see Korra's pain after all the years I've known her? How could I be such a careless person?

As I internally blamed myself, the corner of my eyes caught the slight motion of Korra's fingers. I interlocked my fingers with hers to let her know I was there for her. That I wouldn't leave her. She opened her eyes groggily and them with mine. She smiled faintly, trying to hide the pain she's in but I could see right through her. I tightened my grip on her arms and gently pulled her in for an embrace.

"Do you know how scared I was?!" I screamed. My grip tightened even more, trying to show how much I cared for her. I wanted her to know she wasn't alone.

She chuckled with a snuffled voice. She was crying, but she didn't want to show it. Even at times like this, she would insist on acting tough. But I knew she was crumbling inside.

"Please don't hide anything from me Korra," I said with a hitch in my voice. "Please. I don't want to lose you."

"You're not going to lose me." She said softly, her right hand slowly stroking my hair. Her left hand firmly around my waist.

"Never."