Chapter Two

I pause outside the kitchen, listening to hear if anyone is inside. When I decide that the coast is clear, I rush inside and grab an apple quickly. I knew that if Papa say me eating another apple that he would have a fit. He doesn't like that I seem to have the same apple fetish that he has, so we have to fight for the remaining apples in the house, today it seems as if I'm the winner, which I usually am since I wake up earlier then even he does. Even though he was the past alpha, he and Daddy have taken retirement to the high road and doing everything they can to relax. I don't mind either, because that means I have less people on my back watching everything I do.

"'Ey Unca Ash!" I smile at April as she totters around the room. She just turned two a few weeks ago, and she has learned to walk and talk very quickly, only a few months ago she couldn't do either, and now she is speeding past all of us to get to the table first so she can get her food first. For a little girl she sure does eat a lot of food.

"Hey Little April." I say as I crouch down and let her barrel into my open arms. The only things that seem to calm me down are pups. They are so innocent to all the dark things in this world, and it makes me love them more, almost wishing that I could have one of my own, so that I can give them so much love, and keep them safe.

"Unca Ash, I wove tou." April screaches in my ear before racing out of the room and to the stairs. I watch her go up just in case she gets hurt before continuing to my favorite part of the pack house.

The library.

I could spend hours there, just reading books. And past legends of packs. I knew that I wouldn't ever go anywhere with the knowledge, since I'm a not alpha blood or even beta, the only thing I'll ever really be able to do is maybe be a warrior, but currently with my state of mind I don't think that would be the safest option to take. I wish I could do something to help the pack beside slumming around all day, but I haven't found anything that has interested me and helped the pack.

I curl up in my favorite chair in the library, an old blue chair with just the right amount of holes that you can stick your fingers in there and pull out the fuzz absentmindedly as you read your book. Most people wouldn't understand the feeling of a really good book, but I have the right to say that I have been in that boat many times already.

I'm so intensely reading my book that I don't notice when Mason comes in the room, or when he tries to get my attention over and over again.

"Ashton!" I jerk away from my fantasy that I have created while reading my newest book. I look over at Mason with large eyes. He notices my facial expression amd laughs at me for a minute before smiling his typical bright smile, the one he achieved ever since him amd Charles first mated and claimed each other as each others. 

"What do you need, Mason?".  I ask politely as I put my book down, face open, as I sit back in the seat. Mason raises one of his eyebrows at me before sighing.

"Is it such a crime to just come and talk to my Brother-in-law whom I love?" Mason asks retohically as he waves his arms around in exasperation. I smile at him but give him a serious look, I know the look in his eyes, and that look means that he needs to ask something of me.

"Fine. Charles and I are going on a trip to meet up with some other pack. We were wondering if you'd be able to watch April, Dalota, and Darean while we are gone. Daddy and Papa are already taking over out our pack duties." Mason says with a hopeful tilt to his words. I simply smile at him. Like I've said before, I love pups, so why would I complain.

"Sure, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure i can handle one little girl, and two little boys." I tease as I hold my hand out to him. Mason uses it to stand up as he rolls his eyes at me.

"You say that now, just wait until we leave tonight and you have to put her to bed." With those parting words he skipped out of the library, giving me a little finger wave as he stepped out the doors. I rolled my eyes at him, how hard is it to take care of a little girl, and two soft spoken omegas?