Chapter Twenty-Four

Leonel makes sure to keep me close to him as he speaks to the man who is in charge of the halfway house. I could listen to their conversation if they wanted to, but i was too busy watch Carter out of the corner of my eyes. I keep looking behind me to see Carter leering at me and sending glares at Leonel's back. Leonel hasn't untensed since we've gotten here, so i know he is aware of the glare directed at him. Each time Carter’s gaze goes back to Leonel, Leonel squeezes me tighter against him.

The look Carter is giving me is making me more nervous then it is making Leonel angry. His look seems to hold a promise, as if he knows that this isn't the last that we are going to see of him, and I'm worried that he is right. That this won't be the last time we see him.

“Come on, Ashton. A car is waiting for us outside.” Leonel grits his teeth when he turns around and makes eye contact with Carter. I know we are going to have to walk by him again to get outside, so i reach up and give Leonel a kiss on the cheeks before wrapping my arms around his waist.

Leonel smiles down on me and doesn't even look at Carter as we walk out of the room. He opens the door for me and i slide on before Leonel also gets in and buckles both of us in.

“I'm sorry for the way I acted. I shouldn't act so jealous all the time, he just made me so mad with the way he was leering at you.” Leonel finally says, breaking the easy silence we were blanketed in. My heart melted a little when i saw the small pout he had to his lips and the way he widened his eyes at me. Leonel has somehow found the time to perfect his puppy dog look.

I knew someday I might not be as thrilled that he had perfected the puppy dog eyes, but right now i'm letting that go since i'm not mad in the first place and because he looks too adorable to even try and act like I was.

“It's fine, it was kinda hot seeing you get all bothered on my behalf, plus all the people who say having a possessive boyfriend makes for a bad relationship, I think are stupid. They've never had a possessive boyfriend of their own to base it off of.” Leonel laughs as he reaches over and gives me a chaste kiss on the lips. I smile back at him as i relax in the seats, knowing that Carter is behind us and hopefully won't have anything to do with us ever again.

I know there is a possibility that we will see him again, since he is guarding the halfway house and that's how we are going to go home after all of this mess, but one can hope. I know that there isn't any way that i am going to give up Leonel. So if Carter does think that he has a chance, then he is so wrong.

I never knew the mate bond would be so strong, but sitting here thinking about how Carter was trying to take me away from my mate, makes me sick. I don't want him to touch me, because i want Leonel. I'll always want Leonel.