Chapter Thirty-Three

My eyes are bleary and my back hurts. I also don't think I have ever wanted to have a cheeseburger more in my life. We have spent hours in this room trying to find out a single solution that will make everyone happy, including the kingdom, who still thinks that I attack some poor maid.

“Has Laura met her mate yet? She is getting a little too old for her to meet her mate.” Leonel finally speaks up, breaking us from our thoughts. I turn to look at the king, since it obviously wasn't a question directed at me, since I've only known the girl for a few days. The king frowns as he reaches down to some of the files he has on his desk before making a humming sound when he finds what he wants.

“It says here that she found her mate, but that he rejected her because she ‘was crazy possessive and wouldn't let him out of the house’.” I gasp as I sit up in my seat. She was rejected, so she didn't really have a mate, so she could have just chosen someone for herself and decided, if she was really crazy, that he was her mate.

“So she decided she wanted Leonel as her mate, and she went crazy when he blatantly rejected her because she was going back to when her real true mate rejected her. So all of this time she has been mentally ill and should have been in some kind of institution?” I ask as I reach over and grab Leonel's hand in mine, squeezing it tight. Leonel squeezes back just as tight, maybe even harder, which isn't surprising since his muscle mass is about three times the amount of mine.

“That's a very good possibility. We could say she has been mentally ill for some time and that she finally snapped. You weren't in the wrong and you shouldn't be punished. We can even leak some of her files, see if that helps us at all with getting people to believe us.” The King answers as he grimaces at the files down in his hand. He probably feels very stupid for not seeing this sooner, or when he hired Laura when she first applied to work as a maid here.

“So, basically we are going with the real story?” I ask as I raise my eyebrows. Wouldn't it have gone by a lot easier if I was just believed in by the kingdom? There is photographic evidence that shows I didn't instigate the attack, and apparently the bitch was always crazy.

“Yes, but now we have enough evidence that can show that she was crazy and needs to be in jail for attempted murder, stalking and in an institution for her mental problems. This must have been her wolf’s way to cope when she was rejected by her mate. Everyone deals with it differently.” Leonel says as he reaches over and grabs the file for himself. It's weird seeing him so natural with something like this, as if he and the king had spent days like this, trying to find a new fighting formation or if there was a leak and who it was. I feel bad for taking him away from something he worked so hard for in his life, something he is so good at.

“Can we leave now?” I ask suddenly as I stand up. I drop Leonel's hand as I look down at the king. He gives me a weird look before nodding and waving the both of us off. My stomach rumbles again in happiness from being let out, but my brain is currently whirling.

“Thank you for helping me with this, not that I have you much choice, but I shouldn't have forced you to, this coupled with your traumatic childhood might have been too much for you, and I apologize for it.” The king speaks softly, but the both of us can hear him clearly. My shoulders tense a little before I relax. I give the king a final nod before grabbing Leonel's hand again and pulling him out of the room, finally able to get out of this place. And eat, I'm definitely ready to eat.