Chapter Thirty-One

“Leonel, you have to believe me, I never wanted to hurt her, until after she started hurting me. She wanted to kill me because I had mated with you and she had overheard that you were going to leave to be with me. You have to believe I was defending myself.” I plead to Leonel, who is standing next to me as we wait for the king to come back from where ever he had run off to.

He had left us in his main office, apparently he has more than one, to go and see how Laura is doing in the hospital wing, she had woken up in hysterical about how I was planning on killing her this whole time and that I never should have been trusted to be this close to the king.

“I believe you, Ashton, I do, I knew she had some crazy mindset that someday we would be together, after I told her numerous times that she was not my mate. I understand that she would do something like that, I'm just surprised that you hit her over the head with a metal statue, you could have killed her.” Leonel whispers harshly as he turns and gives me one of his looks. Basically if it was anyone besides me he was giving that look to, they would be on their knees begging for mercy, but I only roll my eyes and sigh in annoyance.

“You say you believe me but you aren't on my side, should I have just let her beat me up, probably kill me like she wanted. I'm sure that would have caused a lot less of a problem since everyone here seems to hate me.” I grumbled, annoyed that all I have ever done was to try and please people by lying and saying everything is alright. The few people that I have to please to be happy for the rest of my life, seemed to hate my guts before they even met me.

“Don't say that, Ashton. I love you, I will always be on your side, I just think you should have found another way to get her to leave you alone and get help.” I can tell that Leonel has more to say other the his professional opinion on what I had done, and I don't have to wait long before he opened his mouth again.

“I need you to promise me that you will never do anything like that ever again. I don't think I can go through another heart attack after hearing that my mate might be killed because he killed a mate in the castle where the king resides. I don't want to have to go back home to your family all by myself.” I nod as I look down at the ground. I don't know that Leonel felt this way about the whole thing. If I knew it would have affected him this much, I would have done what he said, and find another way to figure out how to get out of the situation I was in.

“No, Ashton. I want you to look me in the eyes and tell me you won't ever do anything that stupid and idiotic ever again, I love you, I don't want to lose you.” The desperation in Leonel's voice and expressed on his face makes my heart burn in pain. I reach up and wrap my arms around his neck, tangling my hands in his hair like I know he likes.

“I promise I won't do anything stupid or idiotic ever again if I so can help it. If I can find another way, I will.” Leonel smiles down at me and leans in for a kiss, only for both of us to jump apart when the door slams open from someones arrival.

The king gives us a bored look before going to sit behind his desk. Leonel and I exchange a confused glance before sitting down in the chairs that we had originally been told to sit in, but Leonel was too enraged to sit before, and I felt weird being so far below him.

The king's attitude doesn't seem like an attitude of a person who is about to death sentence someone. He seems as if he doesn't even want to be here, and I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.