Chapter Five

"There you are, Ashton! I was wondering how long it would take for you to get your lazy butt down here." Daddy exclaims loudly after I step down the final step and into the dinner area. I smile as him, more like grimace before taking the only open seat at the table, between Charles -who mist have just gotten back -and Uncle Rian.

I love Uncle Rian, he is my uncle, I'll always love him, but he is also very intimidating, and judgy. He still hasn't completely forgiven Charles from when his daughter, Cassie was almost hurt from when that bitch of a women messed with his mind.

I can't help but feel nervous as I sit down next to him, and the look he gives me - the emotionless blank mask he has perfected - makes a chill run down my spine.

I keep my injured arm close to my side, knowing sometimes that Charles likes to swing his arms around while he is stretching, or whatever he calls it. I hold out my other arm and grab the plate of pancakes, which still has a high pile on it.

It's awkward doing it. I have to pick up the plate, bring it towards me, set down the plate, grab a few pancakes, pick up the plate, put it back in it's spot and then attempt to grab the syrup. All of this is done with my left arm, my non-dominant arm. The arm that does nothing you tell it to do, and basically does whatever it wants.

Without using my bad arm, I can still feel it burning, a slight burn that intensifies the longer you let it sit. It continues to fester the more you try and ignore it, until it isn't ignorable anymore. I'm getting severely close to not being able to take it anymore and jumping out of my seat and running back to my room like the coward I am.

I can't even handle the pain. I feel myself crying on the inside, sitting here cutting my food with my left hand while my right arm lays limp by my side. If I don't leave soon, someone is going to notice I'm acting weird and say something.

"Ashton? Why are you eating woth your left hand?" I'm surprised the question comes from Uncle Rian. His voice is quiet, but I know a few people sitting around us heard what he said, and are listening in for my answer. I know I've been caught, but hopefully I can make it out of this conversation without revealing the burn on my arm and I can play it down to my shoulder hurting or something.

"Nothing, i just thought that it would be cool to try. I mean, I can live the life that left-handed people live." I lie as I stare down at my plate, a smile comes to my face at my ridiculous lie, there is no way anyone would beleive a word of what I just said, especially in this crazy family of mine.

"That was one of the stupidest lies I have heard in my whole life, and that make me even more suspicious as to why your arm is laying limp at your side and you are putting yourself through the struggle of eating with your non-dominant hand." I sigh as I decide to go with the lie I thought of not even a minute ago.

"My shoulder hurts from playing with April yesterday. We were playing hide-and-seak and I triped over a table while I was counting and I fell weirdly on my shoulder." I lie again as I look him in the eyes, knowing that long ago I learned how to lie and not be detected by my family. Uncle Rian seems to accept my answer and opens his mouth to say something, but April gets there first.

"You wie! We never pway hi-n-sweek! I want to but you say no! You say you no want to wose me." My face goes pale when I see the same blank mask form on everyone else's face as they turn and look at me.

"What is she talking about? You just told me you were playing hide-and-seak, but we're you lying to me?" Uncle Rian asks lowly as his eyss narrow on me. His face isn't emotionless anymore, now he is angry, and it takes a lot for him to show an emotion like that.

"She doesn't know what she is talking about, she probably just forgot! We had so much fun playing hide-and-seek together. Right April?" I ask and turn to April, giving her my best smile, hoping that it would seat her answer in even the slightest.

"No, you wie, I no pway hie-n-sweek wit you, you wier!" My lips purse as April pouts, who is quickly taken by Mason and calmed down. 

I turn to plead to Uncle Rina that I'm not lying at that she doesn't rememeber, but white hot pain shoots through my whole body and blackness flashes before my eyes. The only thing I hear before passing out is the sound of water rushing through my ears.