oni

oni – chapter sixty two

cassie

"His eyes were glowing." Scott said.

We had left Kira home after telling her about us and now we are at Allison's. I haven't seen Stiles since the party but I texted him and he's fine.

"There was something almost ritualistic about it. Like it was looking right into his soul." Argent said.

"That's the same thing it did to me." Isaac said.

"That's what it did to everyone." Allison said.

"Not everyone. They only came after the werewolves." Scott said.

"And Lydia and Cassie." Allison said.

"Anyone with a connection to the supernatural." Argent said and I moved my finger to the back of my ear, where there was a mark. "I'm surprised you didn't pass out, Cassie. Everyone else did."

"Then who was the guy they went after in Japan?" Isaac asked Argent.

"A kumicho. A yakuza boss. It was my first gun deal. I was only 18 and it was supposed to be a simple exchange. Expect Gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being yakuza. He wanted to see if I could adapt in the moment. Testing my ability to improvise." Chris said.

"Or your ability to survive." Allison said.

"The moment the sun went down it was like they just materialized out of the shadows. They had swords, not curved like katanas but straight, black steel. Like ninjatos."

"What did they want?" I asked.

"To get to the kumicho. They cut down every living thing in their way."

"Did they mark him like they did to us?" Isaac asked.

"Not exactly."

"What was he?" Scott asked.

"I don't know. But there might be someone who does. There were a few others who survived that night. One of them was a man named Katashi... They called him Silverfinger because of an unusual prosthetic. And it looked like he was getting ready to take them all on himself. I saved him. I've known for a while Katashi was in the country. I spent yesterday tracking him down." Chris said.

"Didn't look like he wanted to be found." Isaac pointed to the stitches on his forehead.

"Not particularly, no."

"You think he knows what they are? Or what they want?" Scott asked.

"Maybe."

"What if he doesn't want to talk?" Allison asked.

"What if he doesn't even remember you?" Isaac asked.

"He'll remember this." Argent said, opening a box and I saw a shattered mask. "I know I didn't kill it. I'm not sure you can. But I slowed I down long enough for us to get out of there."

Scott grabbed a part. "What was behind the mask?"

"Darkness. Absolute darkness."

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

Scott and I followed Stiles to the chemistry classroom.

"So then she starts telling me about the phosphors and the key having chemicals on it, right?" Stiles said, entering the classroom. "And so that made me think of the chemistry closet and the fact that someone had to let Barrow in...." He stopped, looking at the board. "It's gone." My brother turned around. "Okay, it doesn't matter though. It doesn't matter. I've still got the key." He said, grabbing his key ring and searching for the key. "What the hell?" He whispers. "I had it... I had it here. I had it here this morning, I swear to God, I had it this morning."