we can't leave

we can't leave - chapter one hundred nine

SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG, OH MY GOD. IT'S BEEN LIKE 4 MONTHS????? I'M SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SORRY.

scott

I turned the lights on and after doing all my duties around the field, I grabbed my jacket and smiled at the "assistant coach" letters, putting it on and looking around to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I blew the whistle and the boys started to play, throwing each other on the ground and running around.

"Hey! Nice work, Diaz!" I yelled. "Nolan, you stay in there. You can take him." I pointed and they made a goal. "Nice work. That's the best shot of pre-season."

"Thanks, Coach," Diaz said.

"Assistant Coach!" I heard Finstock yelling, walking towards me. "What exactly are you doing?"

"Drills."

"You're giving them hope. When did I ever give you hope?" Coach asked me.

I smiled, "Never."

"Exactly

"Exactly. Nothing motivates more than withering criticism. Speaking of, um, losers, where's your, uh, where's your little protégé?" He asked me.

I looked around, searching for him. "Um..."

"Um? Is... Is. "um" a location? Is "um" behind me?"

"He'll be here. Okay? He's the backbone of this team. He's stepped it up in every way possible. A born leader who can handle anything that you throw at him." I told him.

I grabbed my phone, texting Liam and telling him to get his ass on the field.

"I swear to God, McCall, if you don't get Dunbar out here in three, this'll be your last day as assistant coach." He said.

I looked at him, "This is my last day as assistant coach."

"I can still dock your pay." Coach groaned.

"I'm a volunteer. You want my whistle?" I asked.

"Who gave you a whistle?" He hissed. "You know what? I'm making Diaz captain if Dunbar—"

I grabbed my phone again, texting Mason this time.

Diaz was about to make a goal and literally, throw the ball at Nolan's face when someone jumped in front of it, throwing the ball away. It was Liam. Thank God.

"Now, that's how you play lacrosse, McCall!" Coach yelled. "Who is that kid? He's spectacular."

"Coach, that's Liam." I told him, following him around.

"Well, how the hell am I supposed to tell them apart? They're all wearing the same thing." He murmured.

"They've got numbers on their jerseys, Coach."