Chapter 60

Chapter 60

Star Fallen Cemetery_23:36PM

D.O checked for any disturbances within a two hundred feet radius while Ming tried her best to be as subtle as possible by flying overhead.

She took a dive down from the night sky to land skilfully onto the peak of the tallest tree in the cemetery.

Her wings were gracefully extended on either side of her. She stood wide eyed, wary of anything that looked unusual.

She scanned every morbid inch of the cemetery, and nothing unusual of some sort had caught her attention.

Yet, far in the distance, beyond the perimeters of the ancient graveyard, situated at the far end of the dark forest, Ming caught the sight of what looked like smoke trailing up into the dark thin air.

Now who could possibly be firing up a barbeque at this hour of the night? thought Ming.

Ming had the intention to fly over to check what it was all about, but it was too far away, it went beyond the perimeter of the ancient graveyard. And whatever it was that Mei-Xing was looking for, was probably not something that would lurk as far as the Dark Forest.

Ming sighed.

She flew down from the tree and landed on an open ground of wet grass. She was all alone with nothing but foggy mist and spooky trees for company.

It was all quiet.

"Did you find anything-"

Ming had never flapped her wings so fast in her life, the defence action causing feathers to fly out from her wings like blades to their targets.

D.O watched horridly as a grey feather had just missed his head.

Ming angrily stared at him. "Are you crazy to sneak up on me like that? You literally scared the feathers off me! I could have killed you! A single scratch could bring you a slow death." Ming shouted in anger.

D.O gulped. "S-Sorry..."

Ming immediately felt guilty for shouting at him.

D.O was an old friend to Ming. In the past she would meet up with Mai at Pastry classes and D.O would be there to keep Mai some company when she was not. There would not be a day where the two of them would not argue on whose food was better than the other and Ming would have to play the judge. It was ruled that Mai was better at deserts while D.O was way better at food filled pastries. Being in the centre of their arguments was no reason to protest... Because who in their right mind would complain to free meals done by two of the greatest chefs in the world?

Ming sighed and walked over to D.O to retrieve her feathers. Upon her touch, the feathers disintegrated to glittery ashes.

"Sorry for shouting at you." Ming apologised with her back facing D.O.

Ming suddenly felt a pair of arms wrap around her, nothing more than a mere friendly gesture. "It is okay." D.O whispered. "I know that it is not me you are actually angry at."

When D.O said those words, Ming fought the urge to cry in front of him.

But D.O was not making things any easier for Ming when he said, "Everyone did everything they could to find her that night. But... it was already too late. She was gone. There was nothing you or I could have done. Her death was not your fault. You need to forgive yourself Ming."

I won't cry. I won't cry...she kept repeating in her mind.

Ming quickly wiped off the tears that managed to escape her eyes. "So, did you find anything unusual?" Ming asked quickly in order to change the topic.