The Surge

"Enough! He needs his rest, please leave us for now." Artemis' voice carried over the still silence that had suddenly engulfed the entire endless space of the void. This was where immortals went to burn out, the armies didn't need to be told twice. With a wave of his hand Odin sent them all back save for the generals and himself.

"Perhaps you should keep him here for now. I know that Lady Nyx would ensure he recovers without another provocation from those horsemen." Odin reasoned. Standing from the crater, holding Percy in her arms Artemis rose effortlessly.

"Perhaps you are right. I shall however assign a security detail if Lady Nyx permits it." Artemis sighed as she looked into the defeated eyes of her soon to be husband.

Olympus

"What's wrong with you brother? You haven't been the same since Perseus switched things up on Ogygia." Hermes reasoned quietly as he walked through the pavilion with Apollo.

"I don't know, I'm just being selfish about this entire thing because through everything that has happened the one thing that I'm most sad about is the very real threat that I may no longer be allowed to organize Percy's bachelor party."

Hermes chocked on his drink, "He's actually letting you organize that?" He asked wide eyed in disbelief.

"Well not exactly, but we're going to be brothers in law, he can't say no." Apollo grinned mischievously.

"You do realize that because of our father's sexual inhibitions that Perseus is about to become brother in law to about half of Greek mythology?" Hermes prodded with a huge grin.

"True, but even after all of that, I'm the one he's closest to."

"Ah true enough, but have you thought that perhaps there is someone in Asgard that might want the job of organizing this?" Hermes thought quickly.

Apollo looked distant for a moment, "No, no there isn't." He replied flatly.

"How could you possibly-"

"I'm the God of truth."

"No you're n-"

"No I'm not, but I had my fingers crossed."

"Who i-"

"Aletheia."

"..."

Apollo slowly grinned, having achieved annoying Hermes to a high degree.

"Right so anyway, ignoring the last bit. Is there actually anyone in Asgard that would efficiently replace you in that regard?" Hermes tried bringing the conversation back on track. Apollo seemed to actually consider this for a moment.

"I don't think so, but if there is then I'll step down for them." He admitted with a small shrug. At this point the Olympian brothers had circumnavigated a decent chunk of the main street of Olympus.

"I wonder what's happening right now?" Apollo asked nobody in particular as he looked off into the distance. He'd witnessed the gleaming outer walls of Valhalla first hand when he had crashed the highly inactive sun chariot through the Bifrost.

There was a comfortable silence as the two godly brothers each pondered how the battle might have been coming along, "What does it feel like knowing that your sister is no longer marginally stronger than you but magnificently stronger than you?" Hermes asked at last, never taking his eyes away from the midnight sky above them.

"She's the Goddess of hunting and a lot of other combat related things, I'm not bothered." Apollo shrugged honestly.

"Uh-huh? Combat related, like virginity for instance?" Hermes grinned before they both found themselves needing to return to their godly duties before someone screamed at them for slacking for too long.

The Void

Nyx stared down at Percy's slowly rising chest, watching it fall then repeat the cycle with a steady rhythm. Artemis was by his side for every second that he was spending on his recovery, but Nyx was worried. A champion of Chaos should never take this long to recover from something non-fatal.

There was definitely something else going on here. Nyx slowly paced the room to check her guards. The illuminating black walls were a comfort to her in these troubling times. She knew that Percy took some warmth from the idea that within these walls laid Nyx's own domain. He was never that far away from his family, be it blood or power.

As the Goddess of shadows slowly found herself facing the outbound window she glanced at the guard detail posted on the balconies. There was very little that she had to be worried about in the void, but she knew the basics of what started the war below their homes. She knew of the horsemen, of course she did. She knew of their immense strength, that it had taken three blows from one of them to take her husband's son out of the fight. Galo was stronger than a primordial, yet they had taken him down like a mere child's plaything.

They were Primordial's themselves, or damn near, and could freely come through the void, that was the only reason that Nyx had posted sentries. Not for protecting Percy, but for alerting the rest of them. There was really very little the Gods could do to prevent something from happening should the horsemen ride against Perseus once more, but they were damn sure not going to make it easy for them.

"Lady Nyx, if I may be so bold as to question you about something?" Artemis asked her, ignoring the fact that her current statement was in fact a question in itself. Nyx much preferred Artemis to be talking rather than wallowing in a supposed awkward silence.

"Of course Lady Artemis." Nyx nodded her head respectfully.

Truthfully neither party knew who held the hierarchy here. On the one hand Nyx was a primordial and was as ancient as the day Chaos bloomed everything from a single thought. On the other hand, Artemis was a Goddess ascended from being an Olympian into being the Queen of the heavens. Soon to be married to Chaos' chosen. There was a very real bleeding effect which was causing Artemis to slowly adopt some incredibly power.

"Just how strong are your shadow warriors?" She asked, training her eyes on the fluid movements of the faintest shapes of darkness that every so often flittered past the open balcony.

"Stronger than any demi-god or monster. Why do you ask?" Nyx tilted her head, genuinely curious as to see what the younger goddess could possibly be enquiring for.

"I need to take my mind off of this situation for now. Would you allow me to fight with them? I would go to my own kingdom, but I dare not leave Percy's side just yet. There is something wrong. He's never healed this slowly before." Artemis admitted with a serious frown.

"He will be fine young Goddess. He is experiencing his surge. In theory, when a chosen of Chaos becomes powerful enough, they experience a surge that takes a fairly long time to undergo. His power will fluctuate before it gets back on track. I swear on the Styx that he will soon recover." Nyx smiled softly.

"Aren't you above the river Styx's promises?"

"It was for your benefit, not my own, don't over-think it. You can of course fight with my shadow warriors while you are in the void. There are other matters I must attend to for now. If anything happens that you are unsure about then please inform me, otherwise I shall return in a few days." Nyx told her before leaving in a flash of black that took many of the surrounding shadows with her.

"A surge." Artemis hummed as she looked back at the man she'd fallen in love with. No longer could she claim him to be perfect, but he didn't try to be perfect. Of course; he definitely had his moments where he would drown out the background noise of almost anything because of just how amazing he was to her, but she didn't mind him not being perfect anymore, he was just Percy, and that was enough for her.

?

Chaos knew that it was terrible timing, but with her mind in slumber, there was actually so very little she could do. She was already fully taxed with keeping his powers dulled down so that he didn't accidentally erase anyone from existence. Forcing his surge was the only other thing she could have done to prevent him from becoming overwhelmed with anger and rage to the point that the Apocalypse had caused irreversible damage.

"Hmm." The sleeping face made from the vast galaxies formed a soft smile. The eyes formed out of a million burning suns still remained tightly shut in the endless expanses of space. Chaos had saved her champion and Percy Jackson remained her favorite subject, and no riders of the Apocalypse were about to change that.