Ponyboy Curtis Interracial

SEGREGATION IS OVER... OR IS IT?

"Pony?" I whispered, carefully tiptoeing through the park. I didn't want my Maryjane shoes to click to loud against the ground, in case Ponyboy wasn't here and someone else was.

"Y/N?" I heard a sweet voice whisper back.

Ponyboy stepped out from behind a tree. I ran in to his loving arms as he spun me around.

"C'mere, I wanna show you something."

Ponyboy led me into some woods, clutching my hand so he wouldn't lose me in the dark, wooded wonderland.

"I spent a while workin' on it." He said. I could hear the grin in his voice.

He led me to a clearing, and the moonlight revealed white flowers turned purple and trees growing all 'round.

"Ponyboy, its beautiful." I gasped, amazed.

"Not as beautiful as the girl standing in it." Pony led me over to a log where we sat down. I played with one of my plaits.

"Ponyboy? When... Oh never mind."

"What is it, Y/N?" Ponyboy looked over at me.

"Well, when're you goin'a tell your brothers about me?"

Suddenly the air was still. Nothing seemed to move.

"Well, I... I don't..."

I stood up from the log. "What? You don't want your brothers to know you're dating a negro?" I raised my voice.

Ponyboys eyes widened. "No, Y/N, it's nothing like that."

He stood up and walked over to me. He reached for my hands, which I yanked back from his grip.

"Why, Ponyboy? Why?" I whispered.

"Y/N, say a poem with me."

"What does a poem have to do with-"

"Please, just say it with me."

I stared right into Ponyboys eyes and waited for him to start.

"Nature's first green is gold" He began, his eyes seeming to search for my soul.

"Her hardest hue to hold." I said the next line, looking at everything except Pony's face. His eyebrows, his chin, his nose...

"Her early leafs a flower, but only so an hour." Pony reached for my hands again. I didn't reject him this time.

"Then leaf subsides to leaf" I moved in a little closer to Ponyboy, his presence suddenly bringing warmth the chilled night.

"And Eden sank to grief." Ponyboy shuffled his feet a little.

"Then dawn goes down to day," My face was getting close to Pony's now.

"Nothing gold can stay." We whispered together, our breaths colliding. Our lips touched. Then they pressed.

Our first kiss.

"I swear, I love you, Y/N Y/M/N Y/L/N. I'll tell the guys soon. I promise on my life."

I embraced Ponyboy. "I'm so sorry, Pony. I was just so upset. I thought you were embarrassed of dating a colored girl."

"Oh please, Y/N. I eat chocolate cake every day. A chocolate girl ain't doing nothing to me." His grin went from one side of his face to the other.

I laughed and we walked hand and hand out of the woods. Ponyboy walked me to my house, where I snuck in to my bedroom window. With one final kiss, Ponyboy left, promising to see me tomorrow.

That night, I dreamt of white flowers turned purple, soft lips, and Robert Frost.