Steve Randle Imagine

Y'all know I'm a horrible person... WARNING: SAD ASF

I drove down the street, making my way back from the store. I just needed to get a few groceries. I was on my way to visit Steve at the DX.

When I pulled up, I left the groceries in the car, locked my door, and went inside. "Hey, Soda!" I grinned, waving at the familiar face at the register.

"Afternoon, doll." Sodapop smiled back. "Where's Steve?" I asked, heading toward the fridge for a Coca-Cola.

"He went to go pick up Dallas from the rodeo." Soda said as I placed the drink on the counter to pay. "25¢".

I put the quarter on the counter and used the bottle opener on my keychain to pop the top off of the cold bottle. "Mm." I said, taking a drink. "Nice talking to you, Soda." I smiled again, making my way out the door.

"See ya around."

**********
I hummed along to the song on the radio, tapping my fingers against the steering wheel. The now empty pop bottle was laying in the passenger seat, deprived of it's carbonated insides.

I heard sirens in the distance and turned the radio up to drown them out. Probably just another criminal or hood being caught again.

I drove past Bucks house and the sound got louder. Except for some reason, I was scared this time. A few blocks down, police cars and ambulances surrounded a car wreck.

Curiosity got the best of me, and I drove past the wreckage slowly. A bloodied hand was hanging out of a busted car window. The car itself was wrapped around a pole. One of the tires seemed to be popped.

"Those poor kids." I sighed to myself, eyeing the gruesome scene before me. Another body was hanging out of the passenger side, covered in a bloody and torn leather jacket. Their hair was matted with blood, except this kid wasn't dead. But he was in agony.

"Oh, God. Please, help. Please." The kid groaned and pleaded to a couple paramedics. "My friend, man. He's crushed. Help."

Man

I gasped in horror as I recognized the face and the denim vest that was in shreds on the ground. I hopped out of the car with the engine still running and ran to the driver side.

Steve really was crushed. The airbag had come out and knocked in to his face, while his seat had forced it forward. The hand that was hanging out of the window dripping blood was connected to a bent and disoriented arm, positioned in an awkward angle.

His face was unrecognizable, but I knew that was my Stevie. I screamed when I saw the sight.

"NOOOO!" I shrieked, kicking and trying to break free of the grip of the two police officers who came to drag me away. "STEVE! STEEEVE!"

*****
Ponyboy only screamed when he saw me. "Pony?" I asked in a hoarse voice. My throat was so sore.

"DARRY! DARRY!" Ponyboy yelled, running back towards his house. "Pony!" I tried calling to him, but my voice was barely above a whisper. "Pony."

Suddenly, something kicked me in the back, sending me flying forward. "Hey!"I turned to face my assailant, and saw myself instead.

Except I was hanging from a tree, a rope necklace wrapped around my neck. I gasped. I tried to jump to the branch that was suspending the rope, grasping for it. I had to get it off of me.  Or, the other me.

"Someone help!" I tried to call. Then I realized why my throat hurt. I was dead. I fell to my knees, breathing heavily.

I heard three pairs of footsteps, all running towards me. "Jesus!" Darry panted as he saw the other me dangling from the tree. "Y/N."

Ponyboy, face covered in tears, was right behind him with Two-Bit in tow, looking absolutely devastated.

"I'm right here!" I sobbed, trying to get their attention by waving my arms. "Guys!"

A pair of arms wrapped around my waist. "They can't hear you." I turned around and saw Steve.

I turned around and embraced him. I cried in to his chest. "Steve."

He hugged me tighter, burying his head in to my hair. "Y/N."

We watched as Darry snapped the branch the rope was hanging from and tore the knot away. As soon as he got the noose from around my neck, my throat was no longer sore.

The other me's neck was bruised and indented. Darry kneeled on the ground, pulling the cold carcass against him. "Why?" He cried.

Two-Bit and Ponyboy looked away, giving my body the occasional once over.

They walked away, Darry carrying my corpse, sobbing. I don't know where they were talking it, but I know it was in good hands.

Steve and I stayed by the tree for the rest of eternity, living in eternal bliss. We danced, and laughed and sang. We were lovers, stuck in our own little heaven.

Dallas was healing just fine in the hospital, physically. Mentally, the sight of his crushed friend haunted him. He didn't even know I was dead yet. I felt bad for him, but I knew he was tough and would be fine in the end.

"You know, Y/N..." Steve began one day as we stayed sitting under our tree. "The last thing I thought about before that wreck was how happy I was that I had you in my life."

I snuggled closer to him and smiled. "Aww."

"I saw you, screaming and carrying on. I called for you, but you never answered."

I stopped smiling. "I'm sorry."

Steve shook his head. "Don't be, it wasn't your fault."

After a moment of silence, I asked "Why are we set for life under this tree?"

"This is where we met in the 5th grade." Steve said, closing his eyes and smiling at the memory. "Oh yeah." I said, remembering.

I had sat under here with my little pigtails, reading fairy tales from a book. Then little Sodapop and Steve came running around, pretending to sword fight with sticks.

I chuckled at the memory. "You two were adorable."

"You know how that stick fight started?" Steve asked. "We were fighting over who was gonna ask you out first."

"Sodapop won." I laughed. "But I wanted his goofy friend."

Steve squeezed my shoulder. "I'm glad you did."

"Me too." I said, looking at the sunset.

"Me too."

*******
I am so sorry. This was so long and I didn't know how to end it, so I apologize for the end being sucky.