chapter 18

QOTD: Favorite Zelda boss battle(s)?
►Stallord, Koloktos, Zant, Molgera, Vaati (the 2nd stage)

Link suddenly barged into Agitha's Castle, frightening the young girl. He had an excited expression on his face as he strode over to the butterfly princess. He leaned down to her size, smiling brightly.

"I found these," he proudly stated, showing off an abundance of golden bugs. Her eyes lit up as she stared in awe. She gently took each one from him, softly singing to them, before rewarding Link with fifty rupees... per bug.

That piqued [Name]'s interest, no doubt.

As much as she shamed herself for wanting to exploit a naïve (but wealthy) ten-year-old, she chased Link outside. He seemed confused by her actions, but it was obvious she wanted something after seeing the fire burning in her eyes.

"Where do you find golden bugs?!"

His face hardened into a frown, disappointment clear on all of his features. She averted her gaze, grumbling, not exactly enjoying his accusing stare. He wasn't allowed to be upset with her if he was doing the same thing!

"I need money," she urged. He sighed, reaching into his wallet and handing her two silver rupees. She stared up in surprise. "Oh, no, I didn't mean--" Her inner desires were screaming at her to take it before he changed his mind, but she wanted to seem humble. That would grant her more rupees, she imagined, if people took pity on her. I really am a thief, she thought.

When Link persisted, she "finally" caved in and accepted his gift.

"Th-Thank you..." She strained her voice to make it seem meek and timid. He offered a bright smile. He hadn't caught on quite yet.

"You can find golden butterflies, ladybugs, and stag beetles around Central Hyrule," he winked at her, before running off. She stared after him, rolling her eyes.

She ambled in the opposite direction, heading toward the Central Square. She stared up at Hyrule Castle, which was completely blocked off by some kind of diamond-shaped barrier. There's only one person she knew who had an obsession with diamonds...

She breathed in sharply, before shutting her eyes.

However, when they opened again, the world around her had blackened; an eerie golden glow illuminating the darkness. Black dots speckled her vision, and she couldn't tell if it was from feeling faint or if this was the actual atmosphere.

A voice pulled her into focus again.

"Maeraky," they whispered in her ear. She whipped around, raising her hand to slap whoever had the nerve to sneak up on her.

Zant gripped her wrist, and she narrowed her eyes as they suddenly rose into the air, way up above Castle Town. She almost bit his hand off, but realized that she relied on his grasp for safety. Falling from this height would be an agonizing, gruesome death.

"Who are you?!" she spat, staring into the eyes of his chameleon helm.

"I am Zant, King of the Twilight," his velvety voice, amplified by his metallic headgear, sent shivers down her spine. She ignored it.

"Twilight..." Her brows furrowed. "This... air?"

In response, he shifted, the hand that prevented her from falling to death lowering. Her free hand instinctively flew up to enclose around his arm.

She narrowed her eyes, her way of apologizing to herself for allowing a sliver of weakness to shine through.

A dark chuckle escaped the Twili's lips. She felt his eyes burning a hole through her, taking in every one of her visual qualities.

"So you're that demon's pet," he stated, and her eye twitched.

"Master," she corrected, trying her hardest to forget how far away from the ground she was. He sneered.

"And yet, he had you caged like a helpless coward."

"I was unconscious," she snapped, but that only further proved his point. What was she doing unconscious in the hands of a bloodthirsty psycho?

He wasn't that bad... [Name] convinced herself. He tried to kill her friends, yes, and she tried to kill Impaz. Indirectly, of course, but it was still under her orders. They were both deadly.

And so was Zant, perhaps even more so.

"I've been given the order to assassinate you," he spoke in such a nonchalant tone. "Let this be a warning to all who resist." Then: "Goodbye, Maeraky."

Before she could question anything, he removed her hand from his arm, and let go of her wrist. She didn't scream as she plummeted downward, only widened her eyes and tried to think of a way to save herself. The seconds seemed to tick by more quickly than they actually were, and aside from the icy flurries of wind rushing past her, all she could hear was the pounding of her heart.

She felt her body constricting, becoming difficult to breathe as the ground came flying up to greet her. She shielded her face with her hands. As if that could do anything.

And then it all faded to black.