chapter 39

Searching for Ghirahim proved to be more difficult than anticipated. [Name] wandered all throughout Castle Town, asking around for someone "tall and flaunting" but no one could point her in the right direction. She was slightly panicked after a while; she had no idea how to get back to the Gate, or how to even use it.

Giving up on looking, she made her way over to a middle-aged merchant selling a variety of fruits. All she cared for were the bananas. She purchased a cluster, snacking on one while the others rested safe in her satchel.

"Maeraky," a voice called out. Turning her head, [Name] came face to face with the masked Yiga. Mom... The woman removed her mask, tucking it away in a pouch on her thigh.

The first thing [Name] noticed were the fiery red eyes that burned like her own, albeit darker and . . . colder. They were distant, hiding seas of secrets her daughter couldn't comprehend.

The woman's hair was a familiar shade of {h|c}, with a similar facial structure and build. It was almost uncanny how much they looked alike-- although [Name] had never seen another Sheikah before. She didn't know how much of their resemblance was genes and how much was racial.

"How old were you?" [Mother]'s voice came out surprisingly stern. "When I died."

"..Two," the younger girl answered. Her mother pursed her lips, averting her gaze. She exhaled through her nose. [Name] was quick to try and ease the tension.

"That's why I came here, though! There's still so much I have to ask, like... Are there more of us?"

"More Yiga?" A smirk tugged at the edges of the older woman's lips. "Of course."

"Then why have I never met any--?"

"You certainly must have. Just like many of your acquaintances probably have no clue what you are. They don't see us, and so we are everywhere."

A sudden wave of excitement dawned on [Name]. For the first time in her life, she had no reason to be ashamed of her heritage. Being a Yiga seemed almost boastworthy for a moment.

"Will you... come with us?" she asked. She didn't know why her voice still came out so meek and timid. Her mother held an oddly powerful control over her, making her feel small.

"What do you think?" [Mother] shot, offering a crabby roll of her eyes. "Obviously I will."

"Absolutely not," a familiar voice suddenly interjected.

Ghirahim's tone was laced with a strange venom, rejecting the idea with every ounce of his being. [Name] narrowed her eyes at him. Although relieved that she wasn't alone in the past anymore, she couldn't tell why he was so opposed to their plan now.

"Ghira, that's the whole reason why I came hereー"

"You didn't catch the holes? [Mother] isn't pregnant yetーyou don't exist yetーwe are two years away from your birth."

Her mouth formed a small 'o.' She was so caught up with wanting to spend time with [Mother]... recognizing the consequences had completely gone over her head.

However, [Mother] reacted rather differently.

"And? It doesn't matter; I'm coming with you."

"I'd like to keep the paradoxes at a minimum, thank you. [Name] will not die again."

"'Again?'" A skeptical eye raise was sent Ghirahim's way.

"Ignore that," he muttered. He shut his eyes, memories of the [Name] who was murdered back at the Sealed Grounds flooding back to him. He still had no idea who that was. If not [Name], then... [Mother]? No... It was one of [Name]'s ploys, surely.

"And I will die if I don't go with you," [Mother] countered.

"Oh, please," the Demon Lord scowled. "You have four years left. We'll come back before then."

"Just show me the Gate. I can handle myself."

By now, Ghirahim was getting agitated with her. "Do you not understand that your offspring could potentially disappear if you aren't cautious?"

"'Offspring...'" It was becoming a theme now, for [Name] just to repeat to herself whatever the demon said. It felt odd to be referred to as "offspring."

"Obviously she makes it out fine. I mean, she's here now!" [Mother] countered, urging the demon again to show her the Gate of Time. That's all she was after... [Name] knew that. It was stated in her letter.

"You obviously don't know how paradoxes work."

"And you do?" A snide smirk crawled onto the woman's face, and she crossed her arms. She felt like she had him pinned down now.

"Unpredictable," Ghirahim responded. "She could simply vanish, leaving behind nothing but a memory."

"If I murdered her now we wouldn't have to worry about this," the Yiga declared. At that, [Name] snapped back to attention. Her gaze darkened, hand instinctively encasing around the hilt of her sword. Was that a threat..?

If it weren't for the striking resemblance between them, she never would have guessed this woman was her mother.

Noticing the shift in [Name]'s demeanor, [Mother] began to cackle.

"Did you really think just because I birthed you I'd actually give two shits about you?"

Taken aback, [Name] staggered for a moment. Her eyes had widened a fraction, brows pulling together. She tried convincing herself that she misheard the woman, but her taunting voice echoed over and over again in her head.

"Well... yes," she managed out. [Mother] scoffed through her derisive grin.

"You're soft," she snarled. "I'm ashamed to even call you my own."

At that, [Name] fully unsheathed her sword, aiming it at her mother. The latter shrugged, not making any moves to defend herself.

"Although I suppose I won't have to." Her smirk grew sinister then, shaking her head as she spoke with a chuckle: "You're not my child."

[Name] clenched her sword tighter, jabbing it forward. The Yiga sidestepped with ease.

"How much do I have to prove to you?!" Her daughter bellowed, swinging her sword around again. Continuing to dodge, [Mother] resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

"You're a complete and utter fool," she muttered, pulling out her letter. "You could've at least used the same name as is imprinted here."

For that letter was addressed to [Name], and [Name] was currently Maeraky.

"Your client must be desperate if they sulked low enough to send you. I doubt you even know where the Gate is."

And with that, [Mother] spun on her heel, carelessly tossing the letter to the ground. Ghirahim watched with [Name] as she weaved through the Castle Town crowds, blending in perfectly.

"...She's a pleasant young lady," Ghirahim commented.

"I'd like to see her face when we show up again in four years."

The demon immediately scowled. "Ugh, you actually still want to keep that thing around? How utterly doltish."

"Well, I keep you around," [Name] shrugged.

That shut him up.

a/n

if you caught the red queen reference

we shall marry tomorrow ;-;