chapter 49

It sounded so effective when Ghirahim first thought about it.

He had hoped that by chance there might be a spell scribbled away somewhere within the Ancient Sky Book to restore the Gate. He knew the chants to power it, but not to fix it. If he could just do that, then he could enact his rescue mission. Save [Name]. [Mother] was irrelevant for now.

However the Gate seemed far too broken-down to start up again. Even if Ghirahim somehow activated it, from the looks of things it could barely withstand one trip through time. In any other case Ghirahim would have sufficed with traveling only once-- except Master Bulblin also had plans to utilize it.

Obviously I'd get to it first; I'm the one starting it up, the Demon Lord tried reassuring himself. But the faults in his scheme began to bubble up one after another.

"Before I restore this," he started, turning his attention back to Bulblin. "I really must knowーwhat are your plans for heading to the future?"

"The future?" A hearty laugh left the Yiga master. "You're mistaken, demon. I plan to return to the past. For that," he pointed up above the Yiga fortress, way up north where the Arbiter's Grounds lied. Ghirahim stiffened, only knowing of one relic that might be of importance there. The Mirror of Twilight.

However, Bulblin surprised him with a different answer.

"Stallord," Bulblin finished. "We seek to resurrect the execution beast used there long ago. For we, the Yiga, will rise up as this country's true arbiters."

Ghirahim sighed, feigning irritation to mask a slight curiosity for this 'execution beast.' He went back to flipping through the Ancient Sky Book's pages, skimming through for a restoration spell. It was fortunate that he was the only one who could understand the language of the skychildren; otherwise there'd be no point for Bulblin to keep him around.

"I believe you owe me your reasoning as well," the master said. "Why is [Mother]'s daughter of any importance to you?"

Ghirahim suddenly began to choke on his spit just thinking about the answer to that question. He spat out an obnoxious series of coughs, before finally managing to compose himself. He straightened his back. If not for his strangely potent ability of keeping his visceral emotions in check, he would have been a blushing mess by now.

"She's not really," he said, after clearing his throat. "Her abilities simply piqued my interest, and I made the regretful decision to stay by her side."

"Yet you're planning to help her cheat death?"

"Like I said, regretful."

Bulblin cracked his neck, turning his head up to gaze at the sky. He appeared deep in thought. "The offspring of a warrior and a rogue... Given that both [Mother] and [Father] were incredible champions, I can't deny that I'm a bit curious... What a waste to have killed her."

As Bulblin rambled to himself, Ghirahim finished shuffling through the Ancient Sky Book. Much to his dismay, the spell he had hoped for wasn't written within its pages. He turned to the leader of the Yiga clan.

"I ask that you return the Dominion Rod."

"Oh, have you found it?"

"Yes."

Ghirahim could easily pass for a Yiga if it came down to it; as a liar, his skills were exemplary.

"Splendid." And seemingly without any suspicions, Bulblin lazily tossed the Rod toward their new accomplice. The demon could barely believe he was getting away with this so easily. If he passed through the Gate first, and it collapsed behind him, it wouldn't matter; as long as he could embrace a living [Name]'s body again.