Chapter 23

Maxon's POV

She says nothing on the way to her home. She just stares blankly out the window.

"Are you okay?"

"I'd rather not talk about it."

"Sorry."

I want to cheer in my head that we can possibly be together but I can't, it would be heartless to do that. Plus I know how she feels. To see the one you love most love another person. I wonder what will happen with her and Adam.

We arrive at her house. See thanks me and shuts the door. When she enters the front door she slams it, shaking the ground around me. I drive back to the ball.

When I get there I see Adam holding the ring in this fingers. Just staring at it. He starts to get teary eyed. I sit across from him, "Where's America," he says softly.

"She's at home."

"Did she say anything by any chance about how our relationship is going to be?"

"I asked her if she was okay but she said she didn't want to talk about it." He sighs long and deeply. "She'll come back," I say, "I've been in her situation before."

"Really?"

"Yeah it was actually her who did it to me. For most of our relationship she was dating a guard that she'd been previously gone out for two years. The night before was when I told her I loved her and she said she loved me too. We did things that night. The next morning I left and was heading to her room with Kriss to explain my choice. Of course I was going to choose America but when I saw her with her hands on his chest, I- I- I just couldn't. Right when I turned to Kriss I knew I made the wrong decision. I'm telling this to tell you don't make stupid decisions. Don't let go of her. Once you do she'll be gone forever. I know that from experience."

"She probably wants to kill me, rip me apart into shreads."

"You don't know that for sure. When I went back to her she said she hadn't gotten over me yet. It had been a year. But she moved on when she met you. You stole her heart so steal it back."

"I don't know Maxon. She seemed pretty angry."

"You said seemed not that she is but she seemed angry. So there's a possibility that she still wants you. In fact I know she wants you. It might take a while for her to stop denying it but it will come."

"I need to go get her back!" He starts running but stops. "I don't have a car she has the keys." I laugh and shake my head. "I'll drive you."

"I need to go to a flower shop."

We go to a super market because all the flower shops are closed at 10:00. When we walk in people are staring at us. I look at Adam he looks at me. We both take our eye masks off. He takes off his jacket and bow tie and untucks his shirt. He picks out blue flowers, of course because its her favorite color.

We get to America's house. He runs up to the door and rings the door bell. Surprisingly she answers the door. I can hear them from where I'm at.

"America I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. I am so stupid. Its not that you're not good enough I'm not good enough. I need you America. Take my hand and my soul because it was only ever yours in the first place." She gets a little tear in her eye but doesn't let it fall. She's too overwhelmed with frustration, anger and sadness. She takes the flowers from his hand and throws them at his face. She turns around and slams the door right in his face. He comes running back, "I guess I have to try harder." That's another thing I admire about Adam. He chases after what he wants and is not afraid to get his hands dirty. I wish I could aquire his bravery, it is something I always lack.