Chapter 20

Adam's POV

I love her. I love her. I lover her.

I sit on the couch on the patio. America lays down and rests her head on my lap. I rub her shoulder as she falls asleep. Maxon and Kriss sit in two separate chairs. We look out and enjoy the sunset. America Roberts I say it over and over in my head.

She fills my thoughts everyday and every second. She sleeps so beautifully. Sooner or later I'm going to be waking up every morning next to her. I pick her up and lay her on the couch inside. Before I go out I hear Maxon and Kriss talking.

"Why won't you ever do something sweet like that to me? Its like The Selection took all your love out. We barely do anything together."

"What are you talking about? I love you. I love you with all my heart." Even I can see that's a lie.

"Don't tell me we're like Adam and America because we're not. Not even close. He can't take his eyes off of her. She can't stop kissing him. He can barely go a second without holding hand or touching her," she says in frustration,  "Maxon, I just want to be truly loved." He looks guilty as if he hasn't played his role well enough. "Maxon I know that you would've chose America. I know it for a fact but you can't be with her. Even if you did marry her what would your father say about it? He hates her!" I can't stand the thought of someone hating America. I want to go up to them and punch them if they hate America.

He sighs and begins to speak "Kriss you might be hurt about to what I'm going to say and then be relieved. So promise you'll stay calm," she nods her head. "When I chose you, I wasn't thinking straight. I was just so angry at America that morning for what she did. I chose you out of frustration. I know it isn't right but I couldn't stand to look at America. But right when she left she was the only thing I could think about. I thought of her night and day, every second and everywhere. I know it might be hard to hear this right now but its the truth. When I went on a 'business' trip I actually went to America's in Clermont. I needed to speak to her. She opened the door we barely talked. The only thing she said was we can't be together. So I sat on her front porch til she came out. Natalie and Celeste came out and gave me advice. Then Celeste decides to push me in their house and talk to her. I could barely get a word in America was so angry. So she broke off something we could've had. When we came to Florida I had no idea she lived here. The first night we were here you were asleep and I was out on the balcony. I was enjoying the view and this couple on the beach. They seemed perfect together. They were the missing puzzle pieces to the big picture. She was his slipper that fit just right and he was her's. Later into the night they wrote 'Adam loves America' in the sand with a big heart around it. That's when I finally knew she moved on. I'm telling you this so you won't be hurt more in the future. I love you Kriss. And today made me realize even more I need to move on. Kriss I love you and only will love you." I still can see right through him but Kriss doesn't. She gets up and kisses him, "I forgive you. I love your honesty. I love you," she says pointing in his chest, "Maxon Schreave."

At least I know Maxon won't be able to get to America. She's mine.