Chapter Twenty Seven | Birthday & Bites

After hearing from Elena and Bonnie that it is Caroline's birthday and that she didn't turn up at school where they had set up her locker with birthday decoration, Isabella decided to come celebrate with them at the Forbes house. Matt, Elena and Bonnie are there.

"Happy birthday!" They all exclaim once the blonde vampire walks into her house, surprised. "What are you guys doing here?".

"Well you blew off school and missed our work of birthday art so" Elena takes off a small crown that she had been wearing and placed it on Caroline's head.

"Change into warmer clothes, we are going to the Falls. S'mores, camp fire".

"Cake! Like when we were little".

"Except for the tequila!" Matt exclaims, smiling.

"Thanks guys. Really um I'm just not feeling my birthday this year".

"I'm sorry what? You've already claimed your birthday as everyone's favorite day of the year, plus Isabella even came to celebrate".

"Yeah and now, it's just a reminder that technically, I'm dead. Look I didn't even like 17. And the only point to being 17 is to get to 18. It's a filler year, I'm stuck in a filler year".

"You're not stuck, Caroline".

"Hey, I'm forever the same age too".

"It's okay. You know, it's all good, I'll be fine. But I just need some time to wallow in it".

"Okay well I think I have another idea" Elena smiles

-

"There it is!" The brunette human exclaims as they enter the crypt.

"This is creepy, even for us".

"No, Caroline was right, technically, she's dead. Sorry. But you don't need a birthday, you need a funeral. You need to say goodbye to your old life, so that you can move on with your new one".

"Okay. Here lies Caroline Forbes...".Elena starts to put candles on top of a cake as they all name things.

"Cheerleader, Miss Mystic Falls, third grade hopscotch champion".

"Friend, daughter, overachiever".

"Mean girl, sometimes no offence".

"None taken".

"She was 17, and she had a really good life. So rest in peace, so that she can move forward". Elena holds the birthday cake in front of Caroline "That's what you really need. What we all really need. Amen or cheers or whatever. Bonnie?".

Bonnie smiles, lighting the candles with magic "Nice! Okay make a wish.". The blonde girl closes her eyes, making a wish. After eating the cake, Matt takes the a bottle but it is snatched by him from Elena "Ah ah. I need it more than you do, trust me. Caroline, what are you doing?".

Caroline looks up from texting and tries to hide her phone "What? Nothing"

Okay, you're a bad sober liar. You're an even worse drunk liar".

"I might have texted Tyler".

"Caroline".

"What? I'm delicate".

"Give her a break! You can't control what everyone does all the time". An awkward silence fills the room. Isabella takes the bottle, drinking from it before placing it on the ground.