Chapter Thirty Five | Curious & Remorseful

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me" Rebekah exclaims, earning a sigh from her brother.

"Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead".

"Well he's not and he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's strong Nik, too strong" Rebekah sits down next to the brunette female vampire.

"Where is he now?".

"He's stuck at the school without a daylight ring but as soon as night falls he'll come after us. We need to leave now".

"Fine. I'll collect Elena, we'll be on our way".

"Forget Elena! You don't need any more stupid hybrids!".

"What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us".

"We'll protect each other, like we always have. Always and forever, Nic".

"I'm not leaving without her".

I'm leaving now. You can either walk out that door with me or you are on your own".

"Fine. Trust your hybrids over your family. Let your spite be the death of you, see if I care. Isabella, are you coming?".

"Sorry Beks, I'm going to stay with Klaus". Klaus looks up from packing, smiling at her.

Rebekah huffs, walking out of the room where she bumps into Tyler "Move it, sire boy!". Tyler raises his eyebrows "What's her deal?".

"Oh yay, it's the annoying hybrid Lockwood" Isabella rolls her eyes.

"Hi to you too".

-

Isabella walks alongside Niklaus as they make their way to the Gilbert house.

"Do you ever miss castles? The cobblestone ones that cascade up into towers, looking upon the gardens and land filled with crops and trees".

"Sometimes but along the centuries, I have gotten used to changing and the different eras" Klaus answer, smiling at her enthusiasm about the past.

"Remember the days when cell phones weren't invented nor any electronics, when we would run around, dancing and be free in the fields".

"Those were the days, love".

"How were your brothers and Rebekah when you were growing up, all the way back in the Viking time?".

"Mostly the same but maybe more innocent, Finn was still sensible, Elijah was moral but he seemed a little more carefree back then, Kol was mischievous as always and he was the only one of our siblings who tapped in his magic. Rebekah was sweet and strong, basically the same but maybe a little meaner" Klaus stops as they reach the house, he knocks on the door.

"What the hell do you want?" Jeremy says, glaring at the two of them.

"Now is that any way to treat a guest?".

"What are you doing here, Klaus?" Stefan says.

"Well for starters, young Jeremy here could show some manners and invite us inside".

Damon makes his way over as his younger brother pulls Jeremy behind him. "Why don't you go up to your room?".

"Now" The youngest Gilbert sighs, walking up the stairs. Klaus shakes his head "Hm, poor lad. Loses one questionable father figure only to be replaced by the likes of the two of you".