Chapter Thirty Six | Hope & Love

"Ugh" Isabella groans, rubbing her neck when it aches.

"Awake so soon?" Damon quips.

"How many times have you snapped my neck?".

"2 or 3 times? I don't know?" Isabella rests her head back, letting out a sigh.

"Where are we even going?".

"To throw your lover into the ocean, I thought you might want to pay your respects".

"Oh yeah, gee thanks".

"No problem" Damon looks back while Stefan drives, injecting her with vervain before she manages to push his hand away.

"Feeling a little weak? I have been giving you vervain since we got in the car".

"All Damon's idea, don't blame me" Stefan speaks up from the front seat, then he parks the car, hopping out and letting Damon go onto the front seat.

"Going back to Elena?" Isabella asks to which she receives a nod before a whoosh is heard and he is gone. The car continues to move, driven by the eldest Salvatore.

A little while later, Damon puts the phone on speaker, placing it in the passenger seat as he drives.

"You know, I do have vamp hearing". Damon makes a motion for her to be quiet.

"All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's been disarmed, the weapon's in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth and Alaric will follow us" Elijah's voice comes through the phone, surprising the brunette.

"And you'll just run?".

"We've done it before. Klaus and Rebekah spent the better part of a thousand years evading my father. What's another half century while Elena is able to live out the rest of her natural life?".

"We've finally stopped him, Elijah. After everything that he's done to us, I can't just let you bring him back".

"I give you my word, Elena. I will not revive Klaus within yours nor even within your children's lifetimes. Perhaps that will finally teach him some manners".

"Why should she trust you? All you've done is screw her over".

"And for that, I am deeply ashamed. But know this, she could have been dead the instant I walked through that door tonight so Elena, I leave it to you to make the decision whether to trust me or not".

Damon lets out an annoyed sigh "Not! Hello? Did that concussion give you brain damage?! His lunatic siblings will kill you the first chance they get!".

"Rebekah and Kol will honor the terms. If you return Klaus' body to us, Elena will come to no harm".

"Do we have a deal?".

"No! No no no no! Did I mention no?".

"I think you did" Isabella mumbles from the back seat.

"Elena, it's up to you".

"Oh come on!".

"Why do you want Klaus' body?".

"He's my brother. We remain together".

"We have a deal". Damon hangs up, throwing the phone on the floor.