Chapter 61: Graduation

Graduation Day - May 26

Around 3 in the afternoon, Alexis and I head back to our apartment to get ready for graduation. Before we start getting ready, we put cookies in the oven since our families want to see our apartment after graduation. We then take showers and then we put on our robes. We meet in her bathroom with our make-up. We put on some jams and we do each other's make-up. I'm careful and I finish her make-up. She says "Omg! I love this. Thanks Clarissa." I sit down and she starts my make-up.

After we do make-up, Alexis and I go to check on the cookies. We pull them out and we leave them to cool off. I go to my room to change into my outfit. I grab my cap and gown packages and I walk out my room. Alexis walks out and we carefully put our cookies in containers and we set them in our pantry. We then head downstairs. We get into my car and we drive to campus. We have a shuttle to get us to the performing center where we are graduating.

Alexis and I park. We grab our packages and we walk to the shuttle line. We wait for a little while and eventually people fill up the line. The first shuttle comes and goes. We get on the second one and we go there.

When we arrive, everyone piles out and we all go inside the back entrance. We all head into dressing rooms to put on caps and gowns. Alexis and I change into them.

After waiting, we all separate to line up in order of last name. Alexis and I are not in the same area at all. We decide to meet up later. I'll meet with her family and then we'll drag them to meet my family. A man announces "Please check your phones now. Text your last texts and let's get moving. We need to start walking to the seats in 5 minutes."

I pull my phone out and my mom texted me So excited for you sweetheart. You'll be amazing tonight! We'll cheer extra loud and proud. Love you:)
I text back Love you too Mom! We're about to start walking our, so get ready:)
Justin texted me Congrats Clarissa! You almost made it! Can't wait to see you soon!
I text back Me too! Thanks! I love you so much!
Alexis texts me Hey-Ready to walk out?
I text back I think so, I mean, we have to be. This is what it all leads up to. This diploma to say move on from school and live your life.
She texts back True true. Meet you outside after?
I text back Yes- for sure! Or by dressing rooms if we are leaving that way.

I turn my phone off and I slip it into my pocket. The announcer yells "Let's go folks. Phones out and walk proud." Everyone puts phones up and we begin a slow trek into the arena to wait for our diplomas.

When we walk out, all eyes are on us. The band is playing Pomp & Circumstance celebrating us. Yes we almost are there! Everyone begins taking seats.

Once everyone is seated, the dean of the school makes a speech saying "Hello family, friends, alumni, students, etc. I am pleased to announce the graduating class of [insert year] is almost out of college. I know you can all persevere no matter what is thrown at you. Be the best you can be and follow your passions. Over the past years, you have no doubt made great friends who will stay in your life and help make you the best version of yourself. Thank you all for coming and let's begin."

My row eventually stands up and we wait on the side. Almost time ah! Soon enough I'm the next one. Someone announces "Clarissa Carnell." Immediately I hear cheers and I know people out there care for me. Yes! I walk up and shake hands with the dean, assistant dean, counselor, etc. I take my diploma and I walk off stage. I take my picture smiling with my diploma and I head back to my seat. After what seems like hours, we finally switch out tassels and throw our caps up. We catch our caps and then balloons unleash from the ceiling. I catch a balloon to save because I'm me and they are super cute.