29: Puppet Queen

Jeseok's POV

I internally awed at Seulbi, she couldn't stop fidgeting in her seat, staring down at her fingers fondling with her engagement ring.

She's so cute.

And hopefully soon she'll be mine.

"Mr. Kim is ready to see you now." The secretary called out.

I stood up and looked down to Seulbi, still lost in her thoughts.

I knelled down in front of her and smiled, cupping her face with both my hands, I kissed her forehead gently. " Don't worry, everything will go alright."

"How would you know?" Seulbi said with a snap but almost inaudible because of her quivering voice.

"Because no matter what happens I'll be with you, and the man behind that door is still your father." Seulbi only stayed silent and stood up, tightly clutching my hand.

We headed towards the door, but when we got close Seulbi tugged on my hand.

To my surprise, she threw her arms around me and kissed me. It was full of passion, love and urgency? I responded either way. Until I felt something wet staining my cheeks.

She broke the kiss first and wiped her tears. Something about that kiss made me worry. I pushed those thoughts away when she smiled.

I guess she was just nervous.

"I'm sorry." Before I could even ask what she meant, she opened the door and pulled me inside.

-----

Much to my surprise and relief, Mr. Kim was nice. He was charming, intelligent and witty, much like Seulbi.

"Jeon right? Are you perhaps Jeon Junghyun's boy?" Mr. Kim asked out of the blue.

"Yes, how do you know my father?" I asked, hoping that they were in good terms, I don't want Mr. Kim breaking Seulbi and I because of my dad.

"I'm friends with your father back in collage, did you know he was quite a playboy back then?" Mr. Kim laughed.

I smiled at the light atmosphere, I enjoy talking to him, I don't get why Seulbi was so nervous, she haven't spoken a single word since we came in.

"No sir, never have I heard dad was capable around girls." I laughed. "He still gets flustered and shy around my mom." I laughed even more, thinking my dad that cooks cookies while wearing a frilly apron, that blushes around mom would be a playboy.

"Ahh call me  Kai, no need to be formal. I remember how your mother tamed your father. She was a rowdy girl that put Junghyun in his place." He laughed. "I never thought they would tie the knot, but somehow they made it work."

"Mr.Ki- I mean Kai, speaking of marriage..." I straightened up my posture and cleared my throath.

"Kai, I'd like to take your daughter's hand for marriage." I said seriously. I felt Seulbi tightening her hold at our intertwined hands.

Mr. Kim straightened in his seat as well. I feel the light ambience earlier dissipate, replaced by a cold surrounding.

"I'm afraid, I can't let you do that boy." His light and welcoming tone from earlier have vanished. A cold feeling running up my spine.

I looked at him confused, then looked down to see Seulbi distraught.

"Boy, do you have any idea what happened to her within her ten years stay in America? Have she told you anything?" I was intimidated by the man in front of him, he radiated power, and authority, his gaze pinning me down making me feel like he was looking at something insignificant.