Chapter 27

I climb into Matt's car, and he tosses me a blindfold. "What's this for?" I ask, holding the black silk object in my hands. "Put it on! I have a surprise for you!" He laughs, and starts the car. I humour my boyfriend, and throw the blindfold over my eyes, eliminating the darkness. "Are you taking me to a place where I'll never be heard from again?" I ask, and his laugh echoes in my ear and Matt answers no, but to a place where I'll feel right at home. We continue driving for another 20 minutes, with him refusing to answer my many questions, even though I beg him to answer. "We're here! However, you can't take off the blindfold until I say so okay?" He asks me and I shrug, indicating that it was okay. Matt exits the car, and rushes to open my car door, and takes me hand gently, pulling me out of the car, and leading me to a mystery spot. "Okay. Take off the blindfold, Emily." He whispers in my ear, and I take off the silk obstructing my vision. My eyes blink in the bright sunlight and then I gasp when I see where he's taken me: an ice rink! "Oh my god! I can't believe you brought me here!" I squeak, as memories of skating back in Canada come flooding back. "You said you grew up in Canada, so I figured I would take you to a little place of home." He explains, leading me inside the ice arena. "Do you know how to skate babe?" I ask him, and he nods. We walk to the front desk and rent our skates then moving towards the back to go lace them up. I finish quickly, as muscle memory never fails, and I remember from all of the years in skating. Matt tells me to go ahead, and I skate on to the ice, pulling some tricks from when I was a kid. "This is amazing!" I whisper, loving the feeling of gliding smoothly on ice. Matt slowly walks to the door of the ice rink, and toddles out, before falling. "Oh my god! Are you okay?" I ask, skating over and helping my fallen boyfriend. "How do you do this so easily?" He asks, brushing the snow off of his pants. "Easily." I say, before wondering a question. "Matt, can you skate?" I ask, and he nods that he can't very well. "I didn't want to tell you because you would want to do something that we can both do." He sheepishly tells me. "Never be afraid to tell me anything. It just means I'll have to help you." I tell him before grabbing both of his hands, and skating backwards, gently pulling him along. "My girlfriend, the master skater." He mutters with pride. "Not my fault I'm Canadian! Ice and maple syrup run in my veins!" I tease, as I lead him around the rink. "So what do you think of your surprise Angel?" Matt asks me, and I gently stop, before pulling my self close to him. "I love it. It's one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. Thank you, Matt." I tell him, before placing a hand on his cheek and kissing him. "I'm glad you like it." He tells me after we pull apart, before grabbing my hand, and skating beside me, using me as support. We spend an hour together, skating around the rink, with me doing turns and jumps for his enjoyment, and we enjoy each other's company before we both realize we're freezing and we move off the ice rink. "Thank you, not just for the ice rink, or for the flash mob, but for everything. For caring, and for being there, and for just being you!" I tell him when we're back in the car, and he smiles at me in return, before heading to the next stop on one of the greatest days in my life.