Night Owl

(Y/N)'s POV- Jim Gordon's Apartment- 12:23AM- Saturday

I was kept long hours at the GCPD on weekends, after school i'd merely be there for several hours working on homework or helping out as I always did. You could say I lived there for the amount of time I've spent at the GCPD. My uncle lived and breathed his job, literally..

"Goodnight, (Y/N). Don't stay up too late, we've got another long day at the GCPD tomorrow."

I sighed, placing my emptied out purse onto the floor beside my bed.

"Don't worry, being at the GCPD all day puts me to sleep within a matter of seconds the moment I put my head on my pillow" I grin as plop down on my bed,

all he did was chuckle, and slowly closed my door.

I rearranged myself on the bed, tucking myself into the layered silk sheets, then gracefully placing another fuzzy blanket on top of all of the other sheets. The warmth made me feel cozy, I didn't realize how much I had longed to get back under the covers from this morning! As I finally found my perfect sleeping spot, I barely closed my eyes until... I heard a knock at my window.

What the?! Who? What?-

A little freaked out I buried myself in the sheets, hoping the noise or person would stop and go away. The more I put it off, the louder it got. I placed both feet steadily and tip-toed to my window that was covered with curtains. Suddenly the noise stopped, I stared at the window then carefully pulled the curtains back, there he stood. Bruce Wayne standing on my balcony. This was strange... I wonder why he was here?

"Bruce?!" I whispered, opening up the sealed glass,

"(Y/N)! Can I come in?" he asks.

"WhAT?! nO!!" I semi shout, shooing him out of the window as he began to get inside,

"Why?" he tilted his head like a confused puppy,

"I'm about to go to bed! That's why! What on earth are you doing at my house so late at night?!" I stammered.

"Just wanted to check up on how things were going, I feel like we've barely even talked to each other in so long." He ducked down so he could see past the window seal,

"Oh. Why didn't you call or text me to arrange something to talk? This was sort of uh.. out of the blue." Something about the whole situation seemed odd, so I continuously asked him multiple questions.

"Well uh- that was the point, to surprise you!" he gave me jazz hands.

"Does Alfred know your out this late?"

"No."

I gave a small gasp,

"He'll be okay, come out here for a while, talk to me."

Bruce reached out his hand for me to grab and helped me out of the small opening.

The only question that came to mind since the last time I saw or even heard from Bruce was, "How have you been holding up?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

I raised an eyebrow at him, "Um.. with Jerome?"

"Jerome?!"

Watching his facial expressions, I could tell he was having a hard time registering who Jerome was. Maybe he was suffering from something serious after going through something so traumatic.

"Well Nevermind."

"How have things been with you?" he asks sitting down against the brick wall with metal bars attached to it, "Good, I've actually been spending every waking day with my uncle at the GCPD, you wouldn't believe the amount horrible things that goes on in Gotham."

He laughed a little, "Trust me, I've lived here long enough."

I smiled a little then felt my lips being tugged into a frown, "What's wrong?" Bruce asked seeing the change in expression,

"Bruce what are we?"

"What do you mean?" he stared into my eyes, puzzled.

"Are we still ... a thing?"

"Of course! Just because we haven't spoken to each other in awhile doesn't mean that I still don't like you!" His smile stretching from ear to ear,

I felt a wave of heat pass though my face, thank god he couldn't tell I was blushing since it was night time.

"It's tough trying to handle an enterprise at such a young age, trying to create a legacy for your family...I guess I sort of just got lost in the middle and never got around to talking to you."

I gently patted Bruce's stiff shoulder, "It's alright Bruce, you don't have to apologize, nor put the weight of the world on your shoulder's, you're what 15?! you should try to enjoy yourself while you're still young!"

He sighed, "I guess you're right... I'm glad I have you here with me." Bruce smiled gently sliding his hand over mine. We intertwined our fingers, and held each others hand tightly. Overlooking the balcony I witnessed cars passing by, honking their horns, speeding past others and just saboteur every sound from the city. Enjoying the moment for a few minutes, I found myself getting curious again,

"Bruce?"

"Yeah?"

"This isn't something you'd usually do.."

"What do you mean?"

"You know, sneak out of the house after midnight without even telling Alfred, and come all the way over here to surprise me??..."

He got up, his legs shaking a little, "Let's just say things have changed." Bruce confidently putting his hands in his pockets, "Huh?" I muttered, "I've made myself the new and improved Bruce." My head jolted backwards, "The new and improved Bruce? Why change yourself? You're great just the way you are." He took a few steps backwards, about to leave, "Trust me, I think you'll like this version a lot better than the old Bruce." I got up quickly, but before I could catch him he was already making his way down the stairs in a rush.

The new and improved Bruce?

What was that supposed to mean?

☁︎ ☆☁︎ ☾ ☁︎☆ ☁︎

A/N- THANK YOU FOR 7K!!! WOWIEEE!! I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Thank you for all of your suggestions from my last update, I cannot wait until I incorporate them into the story for you guys! I'M ALSO GETTING CLOSER TO THE PART OF THE STORY THAT I AM BEYOND EXCITED TO WRITE FOR YOU GUYS, THAT CHAPTER IS PROBABLY GOING TO BE 12934840040 WORDS BUT I'LL MAKE IT WORTH IT!!