Chapter 1

MAYA

MAYA

I rummage through the pharmacy as fast as I can. I avoid making eye contact with anyone who is around. It's already so embarrassing to find myself in this position. My eyes scan though the unfamiliar aisle, and then I see it. I grab the cheapest one. Then, again I should really grab two just in case. And I do.

I speed walk over to the cash register. A girl with the name tag that says 'Welcome to Baxter's pharmacy. I'm Lynn, how may i help you today?' Lynn grabs the item and looks me in the eyes before ringing me up. She looks at the birth control then back up at me.

"How long has it been?" She asks me referring to the last time I had sex.

"Listen, Im kind of in a rush," I begin. "So it'd be great if you could just scan it and I can pay so I can leave."

"Well, ok." She scans the item and places it in a bag and I pull out a twenty dollar bill. "Good luck to you." After getting a recite and change I shove it into my pocket and then speed walk out of there.

I take the late subway to school today. I proceed to shove the birth control inside my backpack, behind my books so no one would see it sticking out. Just the thought of someone seeing it made me anxious. I knew I shouldn't have gone to that party to begin with. I knew I shouldn't have drank so much to begin with. I should've known it wasn't Josh I didn't sleep with to begin with.

The subway halts, and I step out along with many others.

I enter the familiar building and make my way to my locker. I shove some of the books I won't be needing, and then I decided to take the birth control out of the little baggie it was placed in and tuck it inside a little pocket in my backpack. I place my backpack inside and take out just a pencil. I make my way over to Mr. Matthew's classroom and take in a deep breath.

"Maya," Mr.Matthews says as I enter. "You're late."

"I know," I fumble with my fingers a bit. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

He gives me an understanding nod, and then I take my seat. I begin to flip through my textbook and open up a new page in my notebook. I can feel someone looking at me, and I happen to see Riley doing so.

"You okay?" She mouths, her eyebrows knotting up in worry.

I give her a small smile and a brief nod.

•••

Here is the first chapter! I really hope you all enjoy it😊. Make sure to keep reading!! ❤️ -Author