Chapter 22

F A R K L E

Dad and I were currently watching a movie, actually spending some quality time for once. It's nice to sit on a weekend, just the two of us, talking and catching up on things.

"Did you send out the letter to Princeton?" Dad questions, taking a chip from the bowl between us.

"Yes," I confirm. I had received a full scholarship to Princeton, and I applied since it had been the university my dad attended. He had always taught me to follow into his footsteps, and I've done just that up until I got Maya pregnant.

"Good, I'm sure you'll get in!" He voices happily, a smile creeping up on his face.

We turn our heads back to the tv, where a commercial on teen pregnancy randomly comes up. I tense up, awkwardly shifting in my seat, my hands becoming clammy against the leather couch.

I turn to see my dad shake his head as he hears what the spokesperson is saying about the topic.

"It's certainly sad to see what seventy-five percent of today's youth has come down to." He comments. "How can you be responsible for a child being a child yourself!"

"I-I know," my voice comes out shaky.

"Farkle, I'm glad I raised you with good morals, and that you're not going to be a dad anytime soon. You're going to go to college, get a degree, and then you can think about a wife or a family." He states, almost commanding I do so.

"Yes," I swallow. A knot forms on the pit of my stomach and twists about, creating a nauseous sensation within me.

"I shouldn't be worried though," he scoffs. "You're in good hands with that girl, Smackle...was it?"

I nod.

"She's incredibly brilliant, and quite mature for a person of her age and time." He compliments, and I nod again not knowing what to say.

"I'm so proud of you, son." Dad goes on. "I'm truly proud."

"Thank you." I finally am able to say something, although my tongue is dry and the knot has traveled up to my throat.

As the commercial comes to an end I ponder, thinking about what my dad had just said to me. I feel terribly guilty now, more than I had before. I basically lied to my dad. He thinks I'm still with Smackle and he's proud of me for not becoming a teen dad. Why can I just say it? Why can't I just muster up the courage? I told the news to a large group of people on Thanksgiving, and now I can't even tell one single person?

Why is this so hard?

.....

Once my dad tells me he will go to bed because he has an early meeting in the morning I take the opportunity to retreat to my room and FaceTime Maya.

After a couple of rings she picks up, her warm cherubic face popping up, managing to ease my tension easily and making a smile form on my face.

"Are you just going to stare, or will you talk?"
She laughs, and I feel myself blush.

"I'll talk," I chuckle back.

"So, did you break the news to your dad?"
She asks nervously.

I shake my head.

"Why not?" She frowns.

"It's not as easy as I'd like," I softly say.

"Farkle, it's not going to get any easier. If you keep putting it off your dad is bound to find out on his own, or he will find out the day our daughter is born!" Maya tells me, and she's truly right. The more I put this off the harder the situation will get.

"I just don't want to disappoint him." I reply, my voice tangled with fear.

"I know. I felt the same when I told my parents."

"No, Maya. You don't understand." I say. "My dad has expectations for me. He— he wants me to be some this great business man, and eventually take over the company once he's gone. How would I break these news to him?"

"It's hard, i know." Maya nods. "But it's going to happen sooner or later."

"I know!" I run a frustrated hand through my hair.

"Just tell him next time," Maya sighs. I can tell she's getting impatient with me, but that she still understands why I can't tell my dad.

"I will," I half lie, almost wanting to believe myself.

......

Hey again lovelies!

I hope you are all liking the story so far!

What do you guys think about Farkle's situation? Should he tell soon or later?

Comment down below what you think!

Also: feel free to comment down ideas or perhaps anything you'd like to see me change or anything you would like for me to add!

•comment!

•vote!

&

•share!