Chapter 36

M A Y A

Today's move in day. It made me a little sad to pack up all of Evie's toys and pack away our clothes. Mom has been very emotional, mostly because of the pregnancy, but also because we are leaving. Shawn is pretty sad too. I haven't told the Matthews yet, I just wanted to pack my things and get us all ready to go, which we are. Farkle is supposed to swing by later with a U-haul truck to get our things over to the loft.

Right now baby Evie is taking a nap. I placed pillows around her and made sure she was very close to the wall. I have to always go that one extra mile to protect my little baby. I turn and start to pack away my drawing materials. I stumble upon the drawing I did months ago when I was still pregnant. The one with the mother and her baby connected through the same heart. I smile at it, and happy teas prick at my eyes. It is crazy how now my daughter is here with me.

"You all packed up, babygirl?" My mother stands by the door. I turn to see Shawn as well. They both shoot sad smiles at me.

"I am, mama." I tell her, a sad smile tugging at my lips as well. I embrace her and Shawn wraps his arms around both of us. "On the bright side now you have a room for the baby!" I point out, earning a laugh from both. I couldn't wait to help them repaint my room. I have also yet to paint Evie's room back at the loft.

Mom leaves to get started on lunch, and I pack away the few items left. Excitement shoots through me as I picture my things back at my new home. I never thought decorating would make me so excited, but I guess that's just a mommy thing.

Taping down all of the boxes, I proceed to make them aside and grab my phone to see if I received a call back from Riley.

No missed calls.

I frown, typing in her name and pressing the call button. I bring the iPhone up to my ear, walking over to my window and taking a seat.

"Peaches?" I say, only to get cut of by the voicemail machine. I wish so badly to hear from her, and I debate wether or not to go upstairs and check in on her. I call Shawn over to watch the baby, and go upstairs to see my best friend. She's been avoiding me all darn week and I demand an explication.

I knock at the door firmly.

"Hey, Maya—"

"Where is she?!" I ask Auggie before he finishes. He looks at me then looks at the floor. Topanga comes walking in.

"Who is it—" she sees me and stops in her tracks, backing away trying to disappear back where she had came from. I shook my head at her and motioned for her to come to me with my finger. Then I instructed her to take a seat.

"Where's my best friend?" I ask. Topanga looks at me then looks at the ground again. A guilty look is plastered on her face. "Where. Is. She?"

"She's not ...home." Topanga tells me.

"OK. Then where is she?" I ask again, this time looking harder into her blue eyes. She widens them at having me so close, then backs away into the couch.

"Who was at the door—Ah, it's you!" Corey shrieks, trying to run, but I shake my head and motion for him to come to me and sit as well.

"Where's Riley Patricia Matthews?" I ask them.

"You know that's not her middle name—"

"Shhh," I place my finger over Auggie's lips. Then I turn to look at the murmuring couple. They shut their mouths as soon as they see me. "Where's my Patricia?"

"Hey, family—-" Josh enters. It is the first time since that night that I have seen him. "Maya?"

"Not now, pretty college boy. Take a seat." I command and he does as told hastily. Gee, the effect I have in these people! "I want to know where my best friend is and I want to know right now—"

"She's on a friendship trip with Lucas, Zay, and Smackle!" Auggie blabs then sighs as I remove my hand from his mouth.

"AUGGIE!" The others scream at him.

"I couldn't breathe!" The young curly haired boy whined and I grinned. But my grin fell as I realized my friends had gone on a friendship trip without me and Farkle. We are family. Family leaves members out?

"I'll get going-"I said as I stood up, the excitement I had felt crashing with a pang I'd hurt.

"Wait," Josh stops me. He looks over to the others and Topanga and Corey leave. "Maya, can we talk?"

"There's nothing for us to talk about, Josh." I look into his eyes as I say this.

"Yes .....there is. There is something." His eyes sparkle as he says this. I grow timid, afraid of what he might say to me after all this time. Things were finally coming together and Riley leaving me behind was already enough to ruin it. "There's a lot I didn't say that night. Please, Maya let's talk."

I sigh, taking my arm from his grip and taking a seat in the coffee table so he was in front of me on the couch.

"Maya, I'm sorry about how things went down that night. I was over my head, I didn't know how to react. I guess I was really hurt because we promised to wait for each other and the promise was broken. You broke forever, Maya. I was really looking forward to our next years together." He admits, tears brimming at the corners of his blue eyes. "I wanted to be the one you had that baby with. I wanted for us to go on our first date, and to lose our virginities to each other. I waited for you, Maya. I really did. And I still am. After all of this craziness and the fight I still am."

"Josh." I say at a lost for words. "Josh, I'm sorry. I ruined our forever, but I don't regret anything. I was meant to be with Farkle all along. Our daughter is my biggest joy, and we are family getting our chance to have our family. You had your opportunity—it just wasn't meant to be. You had a chance to prove yourself to me that night, even just as a friend. I expected to at least for you to be there at my gender reveal, or at least after the baby was born. But you didn't, you were never really there. I'm sorry things turned out like this, but we can't be anything more than friends. I love Farkle, and he loves me."

"I understand," Josh nods and I wipe his stray tears. We sit there in silence after our conversation. It felt good to bring closure, I did not want to keep this tiny feud going. The Matthews are my second family, so Josh is now like a brother to me. Josh embraces me before I leave and I hug him back, taking in his warmth for the third time ever. He holds me right as if he's saying goodbye, which we are. This is the end of Josh and Maya. Officially.

"And Josh?" I say, now that I'm at the door and he can't see the tears prick at my eyes. He looks up at me, our eyes starting into each other's. "You'll always be my first love."

.....

Hey, my lovely readers!

I'm so sorry to be gone for so long!! :( 
I truly do want to apologize to keep you guys waiting for an update. However, I promise to set an update day for each week. You guys can let me know in the comments below!

I love you all and thanks for reading!!

Special thanks at HollyOuimette for messaging me, she's super sweet. Thank you, I am fine and I promise to never leave like that again :)

Also please comment down below your favorite book cover!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to pick one by the next update !