Chapter 9

M A Y A

M A Y A

Riley and I were at Topanga's sipping up on our lattes and talking in a corner by the window. For some reason Riley seemed a bit upset today, not extremely, but as her best friend I could tell something was bothering her.

"Riles, you okay?" I asked her then sipped on my latte.

"I'm just worried," She says as she moves the straw of her latte around the cup slightly. "Farkle decided to not go to Philadelphia. He told me yesterday."

So Farkle actually did as told. I thought he wouldn't, but I'm glad he did. That's one problem less for me. "Bummer."

"I was positive he would come, I mean considering what he told me-..." Riley cuts herself off. I immediately look up at her.

"Told you what?" I question, knitting my eyebrows together.

Riley starts to explain how Farkle will be spending Thanksgiving alone this year, which has happened to him before, and that she feels really bad for him.

My heart sinks a bit when Riley begins to explain how his parents won't be able to be with him. I can relate since my dad was barely around and my mom always worked on holidays to pick up extra money. The only place I could go to was Riley's. It's selfish of me to take that from Farkle.

"Maya, are you listening?" Riley asks.

"Yeah," I nod. "Riles, I'll see what I can do for you about that." Immediately Riley's eyes regain their glow, and I can see her teeth through her parting lips.

If it makes her happy I'll have to put up with Farkle.

Anything for Riley.

To Farkle: Meet me at the cafe now.

I typed as I walked, already getting down to business shortly after I left Riley. I walked down the block, to the cafe Farkle and I had met up weeks ago. As I walked in I couldn't help but think about when Smackle walked in on Farkle and I. It's scary to think she almost heard us speaking of me and Farkle's child.

Ten minutes later I look up to see Farkle. He has bags under his eyes, and is in all black attire as usual.

"Hi," I greet adding a small smile.

"Hi." He responds, a hint of sadness lingering in his voice.

"I'm glad you came, even if it was short notice."  He simply nods, avoiding looking into my eyes for some reason. People start to rush into the cafe out of nowhere.

"Give me a minute," I excuse myself and walk over to the counter, where I order Farkle a coffee and then take it over to him. I extend the cup, and he takes it, giving me a small smile out of gratitude.

"Let's head out for a walk, shall we?" Farkle gets up and follows me out of the cafe.

"So..." I saw a couple minutes into the walk. "Riley has been upset ever since she knows you're no longer coming. I don't like to see Riley like that, and besides she told me about you spending the holidays alone..." I look up at him and he nods.

"I'd like for you to tell Riley you will come." I instruct. Farkle smiles triumphant and hugs me tight. He smells fresh, like mint, and he is warm.

"Thank you, Maya. I truly didn't want to spend another Thanksgiving ....alone." The last word holds so much emotion for him and I can tell by the day his voice softens when he says it. No matter what the situation is between Farkle and I he shouldn't be alone. No one deserves to be alone.

"How's the baby?" He asks in a low voice.

"Good," I shrug. "I wouldn't know for sure. I haven't gone to the doctor's yet. All I know is that the baby is three months." I left out all the fun facts about the baby, since I didn't want to overwhelm Farkle with all this information. Specially since I don't know where him and Smackle stand. So I'll keep information minimal.

"At three months babies are no longer embryos. They are fetuses. The baby has toes and fingers," he takes a sip of coffee. "Did you know that?"

I'm actually surprised. Shoot, did he actually do research? Or does he know that off the top of his head? He probably just knows. Farkle knows everything.

"Yeah...I read up on websites." I purse my lips, placing my hands in my coat.

"I also do," He smiles sympathetic. "It's interesting don't you think?"

I chuckle and nod. "It really is. I've probably read more in these past three months than I have in my life."

Farkle laughs, then I begin to laugh as well. 

...

We walk along Broadway, looking at the pretty lights and talking on a chilly November night. It was nice to be able to talk about the situation, it relieves some stress of our shoulders. I can tell Farkle is a bit excited about this, so I guess I should be too. I'm mainly scared, but a little happy I guess. I confessed to Farkle my need to tell my parents and Riley. He understands, telling me he also hopes to tell his parents and our friends.

"I don't know how I'll tell Smackle," He begins as we take a seat on an oak bench. We sit a couple inches from each other. "The news will hurt her. I don't want to hurt her."

"I know..." I sigh, trying to think of something to say to him. "It's going to be hard. I know how much you love her."

"I do." Those words triggered something in me I had never felt before. Farkle has always talked about Smackle and his feelings for her, but now something doesn't sit right with me when he speaks of her...probably just hormones.

"Maya?" He asks. "You spaced out on me."

"I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"I said the right time will come. More important is telling our parents, and checking up on the baby. Making sure the baby is fine and so are you." He smiles. It means a lot to me knowing someone is going through with this with me. It makes me realize that I'm not alone. Farkle's a good guy, I'm pretty sure he will help me out with the baby.

"Let's try to talk to your parents over the break-"

"Are you crazy?" I interrupt.

"Maya, it sounds crazy, I know. But, if not now then when? Maya you do realize you are three months pregnant and you need prenatal medications? You should start to show by your fourth month, which is right around the corner. How much longer must you wait, Maya?"

"Farkle, I know. I'm just scared." I fiddle with my fingers, and feel my eyes sting. "I'm so scared."

I feel a smooth, warm hand on top of mine. I look up at Farkle, realizing he's closer than he had been before. "Maya, I am here. I will be by your side for as long as I have to be. You won't stand alone. I'll be there for you when you tell your parents. I'll be right here. I'll be here every step of the way."