Part 58

F A R K L E

F A R K L E

Maya came back shortly after and we were on our way to meet up with my mom. I starred at my sleeping daughter in her car seat wondering if I was doing the right thing by letting her meet my mother. I know she's too little to even remember her grandma if she's never seeing her again. But I can't help but wonder if my mother would continue to come in and out of my life and now my daughter's.

I was broken, thinking my mother didn't love me, wondering what did I ever do for her to abandon me the way she did. I understand her and my dad had their differences but....Why me? Why did she do this to her own son?

"Farkle, we're here." Maya spoke softly as the taxi slowed to a stop. I bit back my tears and opened the door. My steps were firm as we neared the door, but little by little my eyes began to tingle. "Farkle, what's going on..?" Maya came to a stop, setting the car seat beside her on the pavement. I reached down and as tears blurred my vision I doubled over and I undid the straps.

"Where are you taking her?" Maya asked, looking at me wide eyed because of the emotional state I was in. She searched my eyes for explanations but I couldn't seem to give her one. Evie was so small in my arms, and I tucked her inside my black blazer, keeping her warm. I shot one last glance at the flashing sign of the luxurious restaurant, it's crystal clear windows, and saw my mother sitting there, already making a move on a man she probably had just met.

"Farkle!" Maya called after me as I walked away in a rush. I needed to get away and escape. I thought I could do this, but now I have a daughter to think about and I don't want a person like my mom or dad involved in the life of my family.

"No one will hurt you as long as your dad is here...I promise." I pressed my lips to my daughters full head of brunette hair. My arms and blazer shielded her from the dangers of the street of New York. I let the tears fall, rivers of them following the first few. I wasn't ashamed to cry in front of many strangers, I just felt a world of anger wrap itself around me. I hated this.

I walked and walked, even when my feet ached, distancing myself from my mother and the anger I had built up inside me was pouring out of my eyes.

M A Y A

I watched Farkle walk away and decided to give him space. I knew coming would be a bad idea, and I thought maybe pushing him a bit would be one step closer to making amends with his mother but I guess not...

"Maya?" I turned to see Jen, she threw a fake million dollar smile my way. If one thing she and Mr.Minkus had in common was their hate for me. "Where's my son?"

"He..um..." I looked into the path he had taken, as if he would magically appear. "He's ..gone."

"Oh," she chuckled. "So much for dinner." She rolled her eyes and drank the last bit of alcohol in the glass cup. She continued to giggle and I knew she was drunk. A guy came out after her, and he hooked his arm on her hips leading her away.