Chapter 24

F A R K L E

I must tell him, I say to myself as I press the elevator button number six. My heart races faster and faster as the elevator goes up and up and up. Even if I am scared I have to do this for myself,my child, and Maya. It's not favorable to be cowardly in this situation.

The elevator opens, and I take a deep breath and walk through the corridor, then reaching my apartment door. With slightly shaky hands I reach into my back pocket fishing out my keys. I open the lock first, and then unlock the doorknob. I grasp the cold metal with my clammy hands, twisting the knob slightly as I held my breath.

The living room area is all dark, but my Dad was sitting there half asleep watching another movie.

"Dad," I shake him gently.

"Yes, son?"

"Could I take you somewhere?"

_____________________

The cab leaves us right in front of the apartment building Maya and Riley live in.

"Are we here to visit Topanga?" Dad asks, as he fixes up his green tie against the white collar of his dress shirt.

"Not exactly." I reply, as I open the door letting him in first and then we have to take the stairs up to the third floor where Maya is.

"What are we doing here to begin with?" Dad questions, just as we reach Maya's door.

"You'll see," I reply, bringing my hand up in a fist to knock on the familiar mahogany door. The nervous tingles picking at the back of my neck were almost suffocating, but I stayed put, not wanting to back down.

"Hello, Farkle!" Katy smiles, then she looks past me, seeing my dad and her smile falls a bit. "Hello, Stuart. It's nice to see you."

"Hello, Katy." Dad greets formally, stretching out his right hand shaking hers.

"Is Maya around, Mrs. Hunter?" I swallow.

"Um, I'm pretty sure she's downstairs with the Matthews—"

"Thanks!" I rapidly grab my Dad's wrist dragging him behind me back down a floor.

"What's all this commotion about?" He questions for like the thousandth time it seems. I ignore him, and strive for the Matthews's apartment door. Once there I pull up my fist and knock.

Out of the corner of my eye I can see my dad fixing his tie again, and smoothing out his outfit tediously. Kids, I think and shake my head slightly.

"Farkle!" Auggie tells as he opens the door, but not to me, instead to Topanga who seems to be cooking up dinner. She puts the knife she was using to chop the tomatoes aside, and washes her hands before coming over to greet us.

"Long time no see, Farkle." She tells me as she engulfs me in a tight hug.

"How are you, Stuart?" She asks my dad, giving him a friendly hug.

"Just fine," he smiles against her, holding her tight.

"You can let go now, Stuart." Topanga says to him, as I help him lose his grasp on her.

"RILEY!" A piercing scream that I identify as Maya's is heard. Topanga quickly loosens herself from my dad's grip, and I watch her run over down the corridor next to the kitchen.

Doors are opened and there's shuffling and Maya's cries mixing all together. I begin to panic, pacing about like a mad man not knowing what's happening.

"Son, relax. I'm sure they're just being silly." Dad reassures, but that concept is thrown out the window when I see Maya in Mr. Matthews arms, and Topanga gather the car keys and her phone.