Chapter 7

M A Y A

M A Y A

I turned around, facing Farkle Minkus.

"Are you?" He asked again in a soft voice.

I lowered my gaze, nodding my head as I stared at my shoes. Just to my luck before Farkle could say anything else the bell rang. I'm saved by the bell.

"Maya, meet me at 4."

"Okay," I said in a rush trying to squirm my way through the different people.

...

I dashed home as fast as I could. It was around 3:20 pm so I had time to mentally prepare myself for what was going to go down in a matter of less than an hour. Gosh, I knew this was going to be a hard thing to do but I have to do it. I always imagined spilling it to Riley first, but it seems like Farkle beat her to it. After all, I had confirmed what he had asked.

I hop out of my school clothes, hop into the shower and take a brief shower. I change into black skinny jeans, an oversized maroon sweatshirt, and some black converse. I place a nude scarf on on my way out the door.

It takes me 20 minutes to get to the local cafe Farkle was talking about. I had begun to sweat during the last ten minutes. I recall something about mothers-to-be having a warmer body temperature than most others who are not pregnant. See, I've been doing my reading!

As I take a big breath in, I walk through the doors of the cafe, and spot Farkle in a private corner sipping on a coffee I'm guessing, a cup placed in front of the seat across.

"Hey," he says as he sees me approach him. "I'm glad you came. I didn't think you would, honestly."

"I didn't either," I say sincerely. "But, here I am."

"Yes," He nods. "I got you a hot chocolate, since you know...caffeine is unhealthy for the child."

I nod, thanking him silently after. "So, what so you want to talk about?"

"Everything," He says, his eyes meeting mine in a questioning matter. "When did you find out? How far along are you? Am I the father of this child?"

"I found out two months ago. Which means I'm probably about 8-9 weeks pregnant," I take a pause, acknowledging that what I'm about to say will change Farkle's life forever like it did mine. "And you are the father."

Farkle sighs, running his hand through his chestnut hair. We sat in silence for a couple of minutes. Farkle looked at me ever so often, and then his eyes fell down to my abdomen. "Maya, who else knows?"

"Just us," After saying that it felt awkward to refer to me and Farkle in a way symbolizing unison. "I've been contemplating day after day debating with myself to get the courage to say something and I couldn't. I'm at a lost for words when it comes to this."

"I can see why," he nods. "But, you could've at least came to me."

"Farkle, I couldn't. Telling you would make it official." I say truthfully. I am finally coping with this.

"I'm not one to judge, Maya. We both made this baby." Farkle leans in closer, our hands almost touching in the middle of the tiny table. "We both got caught up in the alcohol, and ended up losing our virginities to one another."

"I know that, I'm just not ready for this." I point to my stomach. "I'm only 17, you will be 17 in a few weeks, Farkle. You have a lot going for you, and I had my own things too. This isn't the right time or circumstance for a baby."

"What are you saying, Maya?"

I remain silent. I can't bring myself to say what I mean because I am not sure of it. Wether I like it or not I am carrying a child, who needs me. Who will soon need Farkle.

"I was considering adoption-"

"No!" Farkle whisper yells. "I refuse to give up this child to people we don't even know. Maya, once this baby, our baby is born we have to make it work. Actually, we are starting right now, today. I don't want to hear you say that word," he crosses his arms leaning back looking away from me.

"I'm just thinking of what could be best for it. We have to be realistic, we're only a couple of high school seniors, when this baby comes along we will have to devote our lives to it."

"I know," he leans towards me again. "I'm willing to do that. Anything for a child of mine."

"You're not seeing the whole picture-"

"Hi," Smackle. I stopped myself, looking up at her, my heart beating incredibly fast.

"H-hi." Farkle stutters out of nervousness.

"Hi, Smackle," I swallow.

"What are you guys doing here? Is this a date?" She asks looking us in the eyes one by one starting with me and ending with Farkle. Her fists balled up a little, and her shoulders tensed up.

"No, not at all." Farkle began, as he stood. "Maya and I were just hanging out. Right, Maya?" His eyes darted over to me. Yes, Farkle because chatting about our unborn child's future is just 'hanging out'.

"Yes," I encouraged adding a small smile. "I'll be going now, though. You guys have a good time." I grabbed my phone and exited the small cafe.

What am I getting myself into?

.................

So here's Chapter 7 😊

Hello beautiful readers🤓! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, even if it was a tad sucky. I'm having a little bit of writers block, but it's not going to stop me from continuing the story, I PROMISE!!!!!! Until next time 👋🏼

-Author