Chapter 4

M A Y A

M A Y A

Tuesday. 3:20 pm.

Here I am. Back in the pharmacy. I go in directly to the familiar aisle. My eyes rummage the shelves, and my hands grasp the rectangular box. I keep shaking, even as I hold it in my hands. I shake even harder when I hand the nice old lady the box.

"That will be $15.90, sweetheart." She smiles a small but sympathetic smile. I fish out a $20.00 bill and hand it to her with shaky hands.

...

I rush home, and I am alone as usual during this time. Both mom and dad are working and won't be home up until 6 pm. I begin my way to the bathroom taking rushed steps. My hands gripped the handle sloppily since I am trembling after all. I get myself to calm down enough to open it and then I step inside the bathroom, locking the door just to be completely safe.

I tear open the box, skim through the directions and then hold one of the two sticks in my hands. I inspection it. It's a white tube, with a pink lid, and what looks like a paper structure thingy pointing out inside the pink lid. I take off the lid, and then I had to set it back down as I lowered my jeans, and then doing the same with my underwear. I took a seat in the toilet and urged myself to pee. Once I did I rapidly peed on the first stick and then the next one.

I took deep breaths after doing that, and then set the tests down, and cleaned myself and pulled up my pants. I washed my hands, using the creamy, lemon scented soap to lather my hands as usual. I peep over at the tests, and nothing has been displayed yet. It was yellow, but clear for now.

I looked at the time on my lock screen.

.4:10 pm.

At that moment I received a text from Riley.

Riles: Meet me in my room in 10? I need help!

Me: I'll be right down.

Guess my best friend needs me...

I take the tests and the box, basically any trace of this moment. I hold the items carefully, and then I go to my room placing all of it under my mattress. I also make sure to push it as far back as possible just to be extra, extra careful.

I crawl into Riley's room through the bay window.

"Sup?" I casually ask.

"I need help," her eyebrows knot in worry. "I've no idea how to act right now. I can't do my hair, or even apply lip gloss without my hands trembling..."

"That's perfectly normal, peaches." I say using her nickname for me.

"Really?"

"Yes," I offer a smile. "Now, let's get you ready for your first date!"