Part 41 (part 2)

3 RD  P E R S O N

"We have to tell her." Lucas said quietly, as he stopped by her locker. She shut her locker and looked into his green eyes, wondering how he could possibly even think of telling Riley what they had done.

"We agreed to keep it between us. What Riley doesn't know can't hurt her, remember?" She recalled, looking about to see if anyone was overhearing.

"I know, I know. But I feel terrible and Zay will tell if we don't." Lucas informed, and the girl's eyes went wide.

"I thought he was all for protecting Riley. Why the sudden change of mind?" The girl's eyebrows knit into a frown.

"I don't know, but he can't tell her. She can't know what happened through him. It's better if we be honest and accept the consequences, don't you think?"

"Yes. But this isn't just anything, this will ruin your relationship with Riley. Are you ready for that?"

He shook his head. "But we cant keep this a secret. At least not anymore." He turned away and disappeared back into whatever class he had came from.

M A Y A

"So you did show up," I tell Josh as I open the door. He smirks and holds up a tub of ice cream.

"Uncle Josh!" Auggie exclaims like always.

"Boyfriend Josh!" Ava cheers, and Auggie shakes his head and sighs. "What?! He's handsome and this many, and brought ice cream!" Ava holds up ten fingers to represent Josh's age.

"Thanks for the ice cream," I thank, pulling out bowls, spoons, and the scoop to give to everyone. It was rainy outside, but the ice cream lifted the mood. Evie got her first taste of ice cream which was chocolate, and I couldn't help myself so I took a picture and sent it to the group chat.

"You know anything about Riley?" I ask Josh as he helps with the dishes. He goes quiet, and looks like he's debating whether to say something or not. "Josh..?"

He sighs. "It's complicated."

"As in..?"

"I can't say Maya. Just know she's okay." I wipe my hands on a gray mini towel and shake my head unbelievingly.

"I can't believe it! Me and Riley are super close and all of a sudden she ups and leaves and doesn't tell me anything! And I'm supposed to just be okay with knowing she's okay? Come on, Josh! I can't believe you know and aren't telling me anything." I protest. Josh runs a frustrated hand through his hair. His eyes look sorry but he's not letting up. "I just want to know what happened...this is all so ...fishy. It doesn't feel like she's away on some trip, it feels like she ran away."

"Omg she did!" I confirm with the look Josh gives me. "Josh, please ..where is she?"

"Maya- I can't say."

"Josh this is the least you could do for me, aren't we friends?" I give him my best puppy dog eyes.

"You know I don't feel like a friend towards you," He silently states.

"Right, I-I'm sorry. I don't know why I said that." I apologize.

The door bell rings. Auggie stands up and go gets it before I can tell him and I'm not vet pleased to see the person standing on the other side.

"What are you doing here? I told you to never show up to see me again- wait, aren't you supposed to be on that trip with Riley?" I questioned, stepping towards him.

Zay looked at Josh and shook his head. "Maya I'm here to tell you where Riley is."