Chapter 11

M A Y A

M A Y A

The next morning I stirred awake to the wonderful aroma of pancakes, bacon, and eggs. My stomach churned loudly, ushering me to make my way to the kitchen. However, I completed my hygiene routine and then clothed myself first. I sported denim bell jeans, a fringey brown top, and some booties. I pinned the front strands of my hair to the back, and then I made my way to the kitchen.

"Good morning, peaches!" Riley said as I stepped in and she was in the middle of putting syrup on her stack of pancakes.

"Morning, Riles!" I said back, then I wished the rest a good morning as well. The grownups where gathered in the kitchen island sipping on their coffee and Zay, Lucas, Riley and I were sitting on a fine wooden table enjoying our breakfasts. A sleepy Farkle still in pijamas with an also sleepy still in pijama Auggie wandered over to us.

"Hello, family!" Auggie announced. He smiles displaying his adorable missing tooth....WAIT WHAT?!

"Auggie!" I ran over to him. "Open your mouth, child!"

"Why?"

"OPEN YOUR MOUTH CHILD!" I demanded. Auggie opened his mouth in an O shape. I was just looking at his tongue right now. "Close!"

Once he shuts his mouth I take both thumbs and part his lips revealing the missing top front right tooth. "Auggie, you lost your first tooth!"

Everyone rushed over to us, indeed seeing Auggie's missing tooth.

"I'm so proud of you, Auggie!" Topanga cheers, adding a little clap for emphasis.

"I want to see!" Auggie exclaimed, rushing over to the closest mirror. "Oh no!" He quickly covers his mouth.

"What's wrong, kiddo?" Shawn asks him, using his nickname for me.

"I look OLD!" He whines. "Don't old people loose their teeth?" He stares right at his grandparents as he says this. It's funny but quite offensive so I put my hand over my mouth stifling my laughter. Farkle and Riley place their hand over my mouth also.

"Not...necessarily." Shawn answers carefully. "It..um.."

"It could also mean you're growing up." My mother adds. "Maya, Riley, Zay, Farkle, and Lucas all lost teeth in order to become..older..kids.."

Auggie made a face. "So Riley, Maya, Zay, Farkle, and Lucas are all old like-"

Topanga quickly runs over and places a hand over Auggies mouth. "OKAY! Enough learning for today.."

"How about we get you upstairs and ready for the day?" Corey asks, leading Auggie upstairs.