Chapter 28

M A Y A

1 week later

I stand in front of my mirror fluffing out my hair a little before it's time to leave for my doctor's appointment. I then place on a jacket and grab my phone to make sure Riley is already heading down. For this check up it's only Riley and I going since mom and Shawn had to pick up extra shifts for money so we could afford a car by the time the baby comes around. I have even gotten a job myself cleaning up at Topanga's and a few babysitting jobs here and there with Riley.

Farkle's not around anymore, and I haven't called or texted him and he hasn't done the same for me. I guess he truly doesn't care about me or our baby anymore.

A knock at the door is heard, and Riley steps in holding a small cardboard box.

"Hey," She says a bit sadly.

"Hey, Riles." I greet managing a small smile.

"I uh, I got you this." She places the box upon my bed, and I walk over to the box. I inspect the contents from what I can see while looking down. I see that it is a world globe.

"What's this?" I ask quietly.

"Farkle left it for you." She answers, looking at the object just like I was.

"Take it back." I instruct, not wanting to be anywhere near something of Farkle's. I turn away before Riley starts to convince me that I should keep it and whatnot.

__________________

We make it to the doctor's office a couple of minutes early for the first time ever. Riley takes a seat as I sign in, and then i take a seat next to her as we wait to be called.

"Are you and Farkle broken up?" She asks quietly while playing with a loose thread from her dress.

"I guess," I shrug.

"Why is he leaving?" She asks again, this time looking up to me.

"Why does anyone leave, Riley?" I chuckle dryly.

"Because they want to." I answer when she doesn't.

"But..." she purses her lips. "What about the baby?"

I shrug. "She'll just have her mama and her auntie Riley."

"Yeah," Riley rubs my belly a bit and adds a small smile. "Until Farkle is back."

"Maya Hart." We hear my nurse, Anne, call me over as she adds her signature bright smile.

_____________________

"Okay, Maya. Now that this is your second appointment we're going to run though some basic tests you will be doing for the next appointments up until baby is due." Anne tells me, and I nod. She begins to talk about monthly urine tests as well as glucose tests and explains why they are important to take frequently.

After, I am given a small urine test cup and I go into the nearest bathroom and pee in it. After I wash my hands I return with it, and give it to Anne. Next, I am given a little cup that looks like it contains water and little swirls of white.

"It's just a sugar water," Anne chuckles, as I look at it strangely. Gross!

I squeeze my eyes shut and gulp the awful drink down as fast as I possibly can. It tastes very, very sugary and the fact that it's mixed with water does not help at all.

Riley looks at me with wide eyes, and then she cocks her head towards Anne where I see her prepare a needle. Riley is very afraid of them.

I smile at her and scrunch my nose a bit.