Part 56

M A Y A

M A Y A

"W-what?" Riley's frown drops and her gaze goes from Smackle and Farkle to me.

"It's the truth," I swallow my guilt from lying to her as I go on. I needed to do this at least during Smackle's pregnancy to avoid drama and make sure things go smoothly. "They told me the day I got home from the pharmacy. Right?" I turned to them and Smackle nodded for both of them. Farkle stood there speechless and avoided my gaze.

"So Smackle is pregnant but not with Lucas's baby?" Zay restated. "It's hard to believe but okay."

"When did this happen? Maya I'm sorry." Riley spoke sadly. "I really let the news get over my head, and knowing that Lucas and Smackle had been together recently I just assumed the baby was his."

"When did you find this out Smackle?" Lucas asked after moments of silence. He walked towards her slowly, searching her eyes and knowing the truth. Riley was too relieved to notice.

"I think Zay should take Riley home," Farkle spoke, still avoiding my eyes.

"I'll go too, goodnight Farkle and Maya. Thank you for the delicious lasagna," Smackle spoke, rushing to the door, Lucas followed close behind her. Riley and Zay looked at each other and then left after them. Farkle helped me clean up the messy lasagna mess. Evie began to scoop some of it off Farkle's face and eat it. It was cute to watch and made me smile, while Farkle began to tell her how unhygienic it was to do so.

"I'm really sorry for throwing you under the bus, but I had to do whatever I could in the moment to save Smackle from going through anymore drama. The first trimester is super risky, and she could easily lose the baby. This is all so hard on her," I explain, picking up lasagna chunks and plates off the dinning table. "I couldn't help but put myself in her shoes, and honestly...it sucks to be Smackle right now."

"I understand that you want to protect her, but why destroy my reputation while doing that? I have a daughter, and even though she's small I don't want her growing up thinking she has a sibling from another woman when she clearly doesn't." Farkle argues, taking the silverware to the kitchen. "So before you throw me under the bus just think of Evie."

"I know it was selfish of me to put you in this situation, but you out of all people should know I mean no harm. I'm just here to look out for a friend," I restate.

"Yeah, and you run me over like a piece of crap while you protect her. It seems like all you care about is Smackle lately, and where am I?" He asks as he stops to look me in the eyes.

"You're here," I point to my heart. "Smackle is here for a while." I point to my head afterwards.

"This is all so damn difficult," Farkle sighs.

"I know it's hard on you, and it's hard on everyone too, but we have to do what we have to do for Smackle, okay? There's an innocent child in her that needs safety and to be healthy for the next nine months."